1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Good job! maiden voyage a success (couple pics)

First time hitting the trail today, may have over did it a bit though. My GPS app paused at 4.5 miles when i took a break and never restarted again. I did about 9.5-10.5 miles in 92+ degree heat. Was hydrated before and during the ride but really lost steam the last couple miles. luckily i stopped mid ride for a snack. Im a runner and have never felt this exhausted after a workout.

overall, an absolute blast. ran into another mtbr member as luck would have it and another local that was very courteous (showed me part of the trails before he had to go). I managed to biff it once, went right over my handlebars at a slow speed over some roots. caught myself though and no issues after that. really got a feel for my gears and when to switch to them. i didnt realize how much you have to pedal , thats for sure. on the street i can just pedal and coast, pedal and coast. not the case today. probably why it took so much out of me. regardless of being in a granny gear my legs were burning at some points.

i was surprised with my balance for my first time out and only having my bike 24hrs. sand can be really tricky but i only had to catch myself with my foot a couple times. other than that i was able to cycle through it. the funnest stuff was climbing some small hills with a ton of roots. i patted myself on the back for granny gearing it through some roots at what seemed to be the speed of smell but i made it

p.s. - the other mtbr member told me to check for ticks before i left....sure enough. 2 on my legs.

couple pics from today.

Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Very nice! I've just started biking too and it's exhilarating! Fortunately for me there are two bike trails close to home so I ride whenever I can, and it's always a blast.

mtbr member
    Cool man, Congrats! The trail looks interesting too. Gotta like the sink-hole/landslide encroaching onto the track in the pic.

Just Ride
    I just started riding as well. Best of luck to ya! Nice bike btw!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I just started riding as well. Best of luck to ya! Nice bike btw!
    thanks, good luck to you as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great looking bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Super sexy bike. Wowzers.

mtbr member
    thanks guys. there are a lot of sick bikes on this forum so i take that as a great compliment. it gets the job done quite well!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Super nice bike! ! Im just getting back into biking after about 10years

mtbr member
    Great job !!

mtbr member
    thanks everyone. taking a maintenance day today and heading back out tomorrow for another go at it.

Gotta pay to play
    make sure you stretch. Hip flexors, hamstrings, quads, and calves.

mtbr member
    Just another N00b saying good stuff, and nice bike.

It really does get you super tired. Went for a 12 mile Saturday by myself to explore somewhere down the street from my house. Have a buddy who does OK, but want something a little easier for him to not let him get discouraged. Will hit it from time to time, when we feel he needs a moral boost. Then I did 8 miles yesterday, I was burnt after the first 6, but after the OK guy left, my other buddy said he was going to do another, so I went for it. Don't know what I was thinking but, hey I made it, and am sore today. But still had fun, and am ready to do it again!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!