1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Maiden voyage on my Inbred

Well, this morning I did my first ride on my freshly built, from new and used parts, Inbred. Talk about a great bike! Even with the fork at 130mm, 10 over the manufacturers recommendation and about 30 over what Inbred riders recommend, it felt amazing. One thing is for sure, it is a completely different beast from the Komodo I had. It is also nice to be riding on a frame that was made for single speeding rather than using a chain tensioner to convert.

I do, however, have some issues that need to be fixed. The day after I switched my brake lines to run moto style I noticed my rear brake is leaking at the lever. I took a gamble at not replacing the olives and this one didn't take. I already have some ordered though and will take care of that when they get here. Back brake is a little weak but I'm guessing it will tighten up when I re-bleed it. I'm depend more on my front brake anyway.

The fork I have on the bike is an old/new "take off" that I bought on eBay. I am more than happy with the way the fork rides and feels but I seem to have some excess fluid build up on my stanchions. I am guessing, correct me if I'm wrong, that since the fork sat for a while some of the seals, mainly the main seals, went bad. Even though I like the way the bike rides, as is, I still plan to shorten up the fork travel a bit. I'll take care of the seals and do a total seal kit when I do that.

Maiden voyage on my Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375640826.287357.jpg
    Maiden voyage on my Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375640959.157399.jpg

I stuck mostly to the rolling flats today as this was my first time out in 5-6 months. I'm currently geared at 32/20 till I get back to where I was before. I did do a couple of the steep climbs that are out there at FINS. On one of them I wedged my front tire into a couple rocks, out of breath and not focusing, and went over the bars. I was able to land on my feet but the bike took a hard hit. The right seat stay slammed right into a large rock on the edge of the trail. It put a nice dent in it and left a bunch of scratches running down the tube. Oh well I guess. I'd probably be more upset if it was a brand new frame but it is used. Besides, it adds character.

Maiden voyage on my Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375641866.307654.jpg

Overall, it was a great ride. I only did 8 miles and was on the trail for about an hour. Next time I'm gonna shoot for 10 or more and probably focus a little more on climbing after a few more rides.

Maiden voyage on my Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375641999.872732.jpg
    Maiden voyage on my Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375642022.402194.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The bike looks good! Now about that brake cable in the front that is just dangling from the looks of the pictures....

mtbr member

Maiden voyage on my Inbred

Yea, that has already been fixed. It broke off because that is right where the bike rests on my trunk mounted bike rack. I need to see what I can do to fix that issue all together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielrg_usa View Post
    Yea, that has already been fixed. It broke off because that is right where the bike rests on my trunk mounted bike rack. I need to see what I can do to fix that issue all together.
    Nice bike, congrats! I hate those brake cables with a passion..