1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: m80 issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

m80 issues.

I dug out my '03-ish (might be '02) M80 and picked up biking some trails last summer (3 times a week-ish). Fall/Spring i was hardly able to go probably only a handful of times and I'm starting back up this summer. If your lazy just skip the last paragraph where the question is...

By the end of summer my bike was showing some wear, the chain kept jumping gears no matter my own efforts to tune, and thus breaking. I broke down and took it to a bike shop this spring to have it done by them (rear wheel as shot as well) laying the blame on me just not being able to properly tune it. Out of the bike shop it shifted fine, they replaced cassette and chain. It didn't like downshifting more then 1 gear per thumb push but i wasn't going to complain since it stayed in the gears. By the third ride it no longer liked 1st, and now onto my fourth it doesn't like 1st or 2nd (being in 2nd up front).

I by no means consider myself a decent enough rider to justify anything beside a beginners bike (or atleast the $1000+ cost that i can't afford) and am perfectly content with my M80 if it weren't for these reoccuring shifting issues. From some reading I was under the impression shimano deore derailleur was one of the more decent ones and am thus even more confused as to the shifting issue. Did the bike shop just fail at the tune? Am I riding it in a way thats creating the issues? Is it just the bike? Frame flexes enough to stretch the wire? My friends 4300, 6500, and 2000 GT Avalanche aren't experiencing this problem.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    there's so many things that could be involved making your bike shift poorly. i'd try a different bike shop. i'm sure i could fix it if i had it in front of me, but minor chain stretch, cable stretch, cable tension, derailleur straightness and/or hanger alignment could all play a role.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/