1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tubby
    Apr 2013

Lucky folks with 2k+ bikes, I am Jealous!

You guys that can afford "Real" bikes are lucky! lol I'm trying my best to raise up some funds to buy a used FS for around $1,000 but I don't know if its going to happen. ( Incase anyone asks why I want a Fs its because I have some back probs and I really like the ride on a Fs bike)

Is it just me or are prices for "Good" bikes really expensive. I mean I know its worth it if you are really into the sport and I can't talk because If I had the money I would buy the best bike I could.

Its just tough to come up with that kind of money when you have other expenses.

You guys that Have $2K plus bikes are lucky and I envy you. I hope you ride the hell out of those bikes and have a crap ton of fun on them! And you gys that have bikes that cost like $5k+ I'm very very jealous of you.

Btw would it be possible to buy a used frame and put new components on it for the same price as buying a full used bike?

Also is pinkbike not a popular site or does my area just suck for finding bikes on that site? I have not seen a new bike posted on it for Pittsburgh Pa in the week I have been checking daily.

I've been checking craigslist also and found a really nice Gary Fisher HiFi ( its a matte black color is looks like but doesnt have the year listed) Does anyone have one of these? Its most likely the bike I am going to try to get if the guy still has it when I come up with the funds.
    theres also a gary fisher cake 1 for like $650 but it looks really beat up.
    Last edited by backwoodz; 04-23-2013 at 03:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i feel you man... i've been wanting a used heckler for the simplicity of single pivot and good reviews. everyone's saying it's one of the few decent all-mountain bike to be had for around $1k back then. but for some reason, i only find the used ones being sold upwards of $1.5k which isn't making any sense... might just bite the bullet and save money for a new one next year

on your question, you can get a used frame and put components into it although i'm pretty sure that would get more expensive and almost be as much as a new one. cheapest way is if you have decent parts on your current ride, transfer them over to the used FS frame. just need to make sure everything is compatible.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Save for your bike. That's what I'm doing. My local bike shop owners are tired of me coming in to see their merch. I'm 6-7 months from plopping down a huge stack of dead presidents one of these days it'll be a great day for us both. Ill enrich them to the tune of $2k-+ and i get a plush blingy new ride.

undercover brother
    Ride what you can. While I do agree that bikes are ridiculously expensive (the top of the line bronson is 10k... you kidding me), but without the sales, there wouldn't be the R&D there is, and there wouldn't be the technology we have available to us today. Save as much as you can, whether thats $500 or $5000. Spend it on the best thing your budget allows, or what tickles your fancy.

Remember, its just a bike.

mtbr member
    I got a used hardrock for bout 100. I love the thing to death and im out on the trails with my friends. are their 2k treks and jamis awesome? of course they are but im out having just as much fun as them on a "cheap" bike.

Plus when they wanna upgrade they kick me down their used "expensive" parts for a good deal . win win. lol

mtbr member
    Two things:

First, luck has nothing to do with it

And second, and most importantly, while the right bike can make riding WAY enjoyable, the most important thing is that you're out there riding on what you have.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OP...
    Learn to build your own bike,save up,watch for sales,and...be patient.I built a sweet brand new full suspension 29er bike for about 1100 bucks.It can be done.The key is patience.Watch ebay.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You'll shop around for stuff in your budget range and improve your ride. The good thing about this sport--It costs nothing but your time and effort to become a better rider. And the components really aren't that important beyond the level you are buying tires and suspension a little more helpful.,And there are good deals out there. So here's a free video. Put the time you have while saving into the part you can't buy. For more fun on the cheap volunteer for some trail building.
    Fluidride: Like A Pro (COMPLETO) - YouTube

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    I got a used hardrock for bout 100. I love the thing to death and im out on the trails with my friends. are their 2k treks and jamis awesome? of course they are but im out having just as much fun as them on a "cheap" bike.

Plus when they wanna upgrade they kick me down their used "expensive" parts for a good deal . win win. lol
    Good for you. I currently ride a jamis that I picked up for 300 bones. I have ridden it and enjoyed it for years now.
    I'm getting older and can afford to save up for the kind of creature comforts a high end bike brings. I deserve it. One day you will get there too

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    gotta pay to play.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bastard View Post
    gotta pay to play.
    ^^^...true that.
    ...and the whole secret is...
    like what you're doing and don't look back.LOL
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    If you are good with your money you can Paypal same as cash and set a 6 month budget to pay it off before the interest kicks in.

My expensive FS is 11 years old. I def cannot afford to replace it right now. But I am slowly saving for a new bike. Patience is key if you have a tight budget whether you go zarr's route and scour ebay for good deals or you spend your time saving your money to buy it off the shelf.

Ride what you've got for now. Things like the biggest cushy tires you can fit on your bike and a suspension seatpost can help your back in the meantime

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    If you are good with your money you can Paypal same as cash and set a 6 month budget to pay it off before the interest kicks in.
    The problem with that idea, at least for me, is that there are so many bikes out there, I havent locked in on one yet.

Ive ridden FS offerings from Specialized, Trek and and Santa Cruz. I still want to ride Giant and several others. Im not dropping that kind of coin on a bike when one might be better or I find a sweet deal later on in the year.

Besides, If you are one minute late paying on a paypal deal or other same as cash deal, you get slapped with the full 29% APR and that aint no fun. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    there is a specialized epic from 2007 on craigslist for 865. Older bikes are harder to move but I bet you could get the seller down to 600. This would give you the headroom to upgrade a few things.

I usually check my craigslist everyday to see what is new. Using an RSS reader with some search terms can make it easier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    you can get a good FS bike on ebay for $1000. ebay generally is better than CL, more buyer protections and not easier to find out fair price.

do not buy a bike, then upgrade components. that costs more than just buying a higher tier bike in the first place.

don't worry about 1k vs 5k bikes. It doesn't make that much difference. You'll still get beaten women 10 years older and who started 30 min after you in race on a bike that has 12lbs weight to yours. (i did). It's the rider not the bike.

golification of bikes, allt he sponsors pay the fast riders to hock their bling. The sponsors don't make riders fast.
    Last edited by bob13bob; 04-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I also play golf and the obsession with tinkering and equipment is just as bad in that sport too but it's silly for noobs to want the best of the best in terms of equipment. I admit I fall in that category too but some of the best, lowest handicap players I know play with beat up 20 year old clubs. As long as you have something that fits you and won't break every time out it's silly to think a 2k+ bike will make much difference. A buddy of mine loaned me a 10k bike and it felt awesome but it didn't make me go any faster. To use a cliche it's the Indian, not the arrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    The problem with that idea, at least for me, is that there are so many bikes out there, I havent locked in on one yet.

Ive ridden FS offerings from Specialized, Trek and and Santa Cruz. I still want to ride Giant and several others. Im not dropping that kind of coin on a bike when one might be better or I find a sweet deal later on in the year.

Besides, If you are one minute late paying on a paypal deal or other same as cash deal, you get slapped with the full 29% APR and that aint no fun. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it
    That is why I started that statement with "If you are good with your money" my credit is over 800 and I have abused the same as cash deal on every major purchase I have made when it was available. I do understand some people are not good with money.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    I also play golf and the obsession with tinkering and equipment is just as bad in that sport too but it's silly for noobs to want the best of the best in terms of equipment. I admit I fall in that category too but some of the best, lowest handicap players I know play with beat up 20 year old clubs. As long as you have something that fits you and won't break every time out it's silly to think a 2k+ bike will make much difference. A buddy of mine loaned me a 10k bike and it felt awesome but it didn't make me go any faster. To use a cliche it's the Indian, not the arrow.
    I also play golf. Its a gear head paradise in that sport. The thing is, you play better with equipment that is fit to you and not just bought off the shelf. I spent money over the cost of my current set (Mizuno forged irons) and immediately noticed an improvement on my ball striking and most importantly, I started enjoying the game more. I also took lessons after I got that set and also saw a vast improvement in my swing. Same with bikes. Buy better equipment, have it fit to you. If you enjoy something more, you will play more and therefore want to get better. So IMO its both. The indian and the arrow.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    That is why I started that statement with "If you are good with your money" my credit is over 800 and I have abused the same as cash deal on every major purchase I have made when it was available. I do understand some people are not good with money.
    Im much better and much more cautious with my money in regards to my purchases.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    I agree. I take it a step further and I refuse to buy a bike on any kind of credit. I learned my lesson with credit cards years ago. If I can't afford it now, I don't need it now. Save up the cash, work some overtime. Your better off in the long run. Sometimes simple plans don't work out the way you intended when life throws a curve.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    I agree. I take it a step further and I refuse to buy a bike on any kind of credit. I learned my lesson with credit cards years ago. If I can't afford it now, I don't need it now. Save up the cash, work some overtime. Your better off in the long run. Sometimes simple plans don't work out the way you intended when life throws a curve.
    I'm scheduled to make at least 1500 working an extra job over the next 15 days. That will be split between vacation and my bike budget

Just Ride
    I used to envy those lucky souls who can afford 3, 4, 5+k for their bike. Then I realized. No matter how much your bike costs, it's not gonna make you a better rider. The only thing that'll make you a faster, stronger rider is quite simply...ready for it? RIDING! Regardless of cost. My brother in law spent over 3k on his bike. Got a deal on ebay, it's actually worth over 5. Full XTR spec. I ride so much faster than him it's ridiculous. Thats how I came to this conclusion.

Those high end bikes have high end parts hung on em. When they break it just costs that much more to replace said parts. I now have a nice simple stock SS, cost me less than 1k and I'm perfectly happy with it to the point I plan to leave it stock for awhile.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Then I realized. No matter how much your bike costs, it's not gonna make you a better rider. The only thing that'll make you a faster, stronger rider is quite simply...ready for it? RIDING! Regardless of cost. My brother in law spent over 3k on his bike. Got a deal on ebay, it's actually worth over 5. Full XTR spec. I ride so much faster than him it's ridiculous. Thats how I came to this conclusion.
    Sorry, but I disagree - If I am going through a steep technical section, I will get through it much better on my $5000 AM bike then I would on my $50 walmart bike.

Cash can buy skills to an extent. Imagine how much slower your brother in law would be on your bike through those same sections.......

mtbr member
    I sold my ~$2500 bike for $900 used, in excellent condition with new tires and recently serviced everything. This isnt uncommon.

Really made me think about what I was paying for new... I dont buy new anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast