1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    baka baka!

Lubing Suspension Pivots

hi,

i own a marin quad tara and was wondering if i have to lube the pivots after every ride. i've been riding across creeks and streams lately so the links get pretty gunked up with mud and debris. what lubes\grease should i use? i have boeshield and park polylube on hand.

thanks,
    jon

enjoying the kool-aid
    I would steer clear off just putting lube on the pivots. The pivots should have either bearings or bushings which will be internally lubed.

After wet rides, it is a good idea to hose off the bike (not hard water on shocks/headsets/bottombrackets) and clean the drive chain really good (get the cassette clean with a brush). Towel off the bike and let it dry outside in the sun if you can. Don't let it sit somewhere will it will have trouble drying. Maybe sure there isn't any water inside the frame that would of gone in down the seat tube. You can let the bike dry upside down with the seat post out.

You shouldn't have many issues with the pivots. Have a shop check the condition of the bearings/bushings atleast once a year. You should get aleast a year out of the bearings.

Just putting lube on the outside of the pivots will just attract more dirt and grime and will help very little.

baka baka!
    thanks for the advice!