1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: lube question

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

lube question

Got my first bike a couple weeks ago, Been riding paved roads for two weeks. The other day finally took the bike on some single trak. Had a blast. Got out with some seasoned veterns and they pushed me hard and I loved it.
    I need to get some chain lube for my bike. Wondering what I should be looking for. Its april still so its pretty wet so I understand I need chain lube for wet conditions. But what are good brands that I should be looking for.
    Also should i pick up other lubes for my derailers? My local LBS is great but i want to know what I am looking for when I go in. By the way I got a GF Piranha.

mtbr member
    Your going to get many different opinions but my favorite is Rock & Roll Extreme lube. It lubes great and keeps your drivetrain clean and quiet. I found it to be one of the the best in any condition. For everything else I use Weldtite TF2 Lubricant with teflon. This stuff works great on cables, derailleurs, ect..........

http://www.rocklube.com/products_detail_extreme.html
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=5960

Former Bike Wrench
    Been using Dumonde Tech for five years (one 4 oz bottle has lasted that long!). Works in wet or dry conditions and keeps everything clean.

neutiquam erro
    Another huge fan of RnR lubes here - their products are great!

I used to use White Lightning, and while that also is a great product, I just got tired of having to apply it every friggin' ride (as wax-based lubes ought to be).

Also consider asking the dudes you rode with or your LBS what lube is recommended for your local area riding conditions.

Cheers, Chris

MTBR Demi-God
    If the conditions that you ride in are really wet, you may also want to look into wax based lubes. As for general lubes, I use Wrench Force/Pedros chain lube.... does the job.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

There's no app for this.

Been posted 200 times before

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use Pedro's extra dry - it can be used elsewhere on the bike as well. I also bought a bottle of their "ice wax" lube but haven't tried it yet. Bear in mind that these lubes are for mostly dry and dusty conditions. If you're going to be riding in mud or water, you'll need a different type of lube.

I think that the wax lubes are better general purpose dry and wet kind of lubes, but they also have expensive lubes which are touted to being ideal for the wettest and dryest of conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your link didn't work! Could you please tell me what words to search under?
    Thanks,
    GES