1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Lube for cassette and chain rings?

There is lots of info on how to clean the cassette and chain rings. However, I cannot find any mention of how to lube these parts after cleaning them. They always mentions to lube the chain but what to you use for the cassette and chain rings (same lube as for the chain?)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    your chain (if properly lubed) should provide enough lubrication for the rings and cassette

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by gnslr
    your chain (if properly lubed) should provide enough lubrication for the rings and cassette
    Yeah after you lube the chain put it back on the bike and run it through a few times while holding a rag in your hand and wiping the access lube off. This should lube your cassette and rings sufficently. The chain is your main lube concern.

EDR
    Like said...keep the chainrings and cassette clean. Lube the chain only.

mtbr member
    fourth vote for lubing the chain

mtbr member
    May 2008
    how often are we suppose to lube the chain? So far I only put about 10-15 hours on it and its mostly on parks rides and the bike is a bit dusty
    08 Trance 1

Weekend Warrior
    Depends on what you use. If you use a wet lube it will last longer. A dry lube, like the White Lightning Wax Lube needs to be relubed every 30 miles or so. If I got for a longer road ride with my MTB i take the lube with me. It is a pain but it keeps it clean on the trail

If you are running oil based lube on the trail it "MAY" gunk up the whole drivetrain. Besides that it is a mess to clean. Some people prefer oil some wax, i like the clean feeling of wax.

On a sidenote, my old drivetrain wore out after 600 miles. Now, that forced me to replace the cassette (whereas the old one was a piece of $#!t anyways) my new one is much tougher, the chain (again, old one was cr@p) and the middle ring in the front. I'm not sure if the lube or me applying it wrong had anything to do with it. Read the instructions on the Wax based lube very carefully, and then read it 2 more times. Follow it to a T and it will be hassle free and great.