1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Lube!

mtbr member

Lube!

Anyone here ever heard of Inox injector lube? I have some that I use as cable lube on motorcycles. It works great for many other things too like lubing key cylinders. Anywho, was curious because I am considering using it on my mtb cables to see how it does. I have already tried it on my derailluer pivots and it has been working great there.

Picture Unrelated
    Cables don't need to be lubed, in most cases it attracts dirt and breaks down which makes an even bigger issue than not having lube. If I had to choose a lube, I would go with Shimano's Special Grease SP41. Or do what you want, maybe it's awesome stuff.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I haven't lubed my cables yet. I have seen several videos and read a couple articles about how to do it so I just figured everyone did. Plus it is pretty common with motorcycles so I just figured it was the same way with moutain bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I haven't lubed my cables either but I clean them as needed. I wonder if there is a dry lube that might help without attracting dirt...like the graphite lube that locksmiths use???

Picture Unrelated
    No, the lining of the housing is a friction reduction surface. Lubing it is redundant and just gives dirt a surface to attract dirt.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Got it! I'll just stick to making sure they are clean then. None the less, stuff works good on the derailluer pivots. Unless it starts to give me problems down the road I'll keep using it there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    best ways to keep that stuff working good is to replace your shift cables and housing on a regular basis depending on how much you ride. once per season at the bare minimum. that stuff is cheap and it keeps your shifting in order.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Cables don't need to be lubed, in most cases it attracts dirt and breaks down which makes an even bigger issue than not having lube. If I had to choose a lube, I would go with Shimano's Special Grease SP41. Or do what you want, maybe it's awesome stuff.
    I've had good results with silicone spray - hasn't attracted dirt. - seems to make the cable run a bit smoother in tight bends like near the rear derailleur
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Silicone spray is some great stuff too. It is perfect for keeping rubber boots soft and supple. Like the ones that cover the clutch cable adjuster on Harleys. I think I would try to use the Inox though before I used silicone spray. Not that I think silicone spray is a bad idea. I just feel the delivery method is messy and so much more of a pain than that of Inox.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^yes, delivery can be a problem (if you are creative enough, you can find a way) - I also like it on my stanchions

mtbr member
    For motorcycles they do make cable lubing tools. It basically filters the spray that your using into the guide. They are more than a pain than anything though. The Inox comes with an long needle that attaches to the bottle. So, you can get it in tight places and deliver it drops at a time. Here is a link to a website that sells it and also lists its characteristics.

https://samplerewards.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3149

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ or you can spray a bunch into a cap, then drip it in the end of the housing - the wicking action takes it away - just saying no special stuff needed

Newbie to Mountain Biking
    Aug 2012
    I lube cables with paraffin based lube and chains with Teflon based. The wax line doesn't attract dirt and sticks better.