1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lowest Cost with...

What is the lowest cost 26" mountain bike equipped with Shimano Deore and a quality fork and disc brakes?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    You'll probably find that on bikesdirect.com. It's kind of a gamble though since there is no way to ensure proper fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    You'll probably find that on bikesdirect.com. It's kind of a gamble though since there is no way to ensure proper fit.
    I am hoping for only responses that can be found at LBS', i.e. Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, etc. Right now the best I can come up with is the Cannondale SL2, on sale.