1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Lower back pain?

So why is my lower back hurting after about 30 min of riding. I just got into riding about a week ago and was fine until a day ago and now my other than my rear hurting my lower back is starting to be a real pain.

What adjustments should i try?

himom!
    Apr 2006
    You may be stretched out too much. You could try a shorter stem. You could also do some situps/crunches and other exercises to strengthen your back.

Tahoe Native
    When I started back up a year ago I had the same issue. A riser bar from the LBS solved my problem. Now my back only hurts when I wreck, which is to be expected.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Keep your back pretty straight by supporting your torso weight with your core muscles, not you arms. Make cockpit adjustments (stem, handlebar, possibly saddle position) if necessary to accomplish this.

As someone above mentioned, crunches, etc. could also help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a12gaugehug
    So why is my lower back hurting after about 30 min of riding. I just got into riding about a week ago and was fine until a day ago and now my other than my rear hurting my lower back is starting to be a real pain.

What adjustments should i try?
    Join the club my friend.
    My back hurts when I ride because of the length of my stem, it's too long.
    I have the reach too far forward to grasp the bars, causing pain in the lower back.
    Either get a shorter stem, or learn to ride with no hands so you aren't forced to lean forward so much.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    stem, bar, and saddle adjustment are critical....I was having problems with lower back pain about 20 minutes into a ride, it was so bad I couldn't ride more that a 100 yards with out having to stop and recover. I did some trailside work that involved swapping headset spacer around effectively raising my stem 1/4 of an inch....presto, back pain went away and I haven't had any problems since...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry for the noobiness of myself but wich would be the stem? Is it the part that extends from the handlebars to the front center post of the bike?

I did order a carbon spacer from blue sky cycling in the 10 mm length. Will this help? I do feel like im too stretched out and leaning too far forward on the bike i was hoping this would help.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you are right. it might be a good idea to order a few spacers of different heights so you can experiment with what feels best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    By the way i have a 22" diamondback response 08 and i am 6'4".

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That size seems a little big, even for your size, try a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What do you mean by a shorter stem?

And if i get a different bike should i go with a 21 or 20"??

I mean im a pretty large guy it seems like the bike overall fits me right just it seems like im leaning too far forward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The stem is the part that connects the fork from the top of the head tube to the handlebars. Choose a shorter stem and possibly one with a greater angle which will make you feel like you are sitting more upright.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by a12gaugehug
    Sorry for the noobiness of myself but wich would be the stem? Is it the part that extends from the handlebars to the front center post of the bike?

I did order a carbon spacer from blue sky cycling in the 10 mm length. Will this help? I do feel like im too stretched out and leaning too far forward on the bike i was hoping this would help.

I don't think 10mm will make much of a difference, but you never know. You can also try rotating your handlebars back a bit so that they're closer to you.

You might want to get an adjustable stem to play with different set-ups:
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=SM2080

Ride the dream
    Im not totally convinced that the stem length is the right thing to change.... Swapping to a stem with more rise might be worth it in this situation though.

If you're happy with the handling, a shorter stem will result in faster handling - and the way to slow that back down is with a wider bar (which will remove some of the point by pushing you further forward again).

You could try an inline post (saddle further forward)...

You could try a bar with more upsweep, or more backsweep.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kattywhumpus
    stem, bar, and saddle adjustment are critical....I was having problems with lower back pain about 20 minutes into a ride, it was so bad I couldn't ride more that a 100 yards with out having to stop and recover. I did some trailside work that involved swapping headset spacer around effectively raising my stem 1/4 of an inch....presto, back pain went away and I haven't had any problems since...
    Good info. Also if the seat is tilted back too much or it's design causes discomfort to your nuts/crotch it can cause you to rotate your hips back to relieve the pressure caused by the seat, which can cause lower back pain too.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...