1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Loud Disc Brakes...

Just got my new bike about 2 weeks ago and have ridden on some trails about 4 times out here in the Nevada desert and loving every second of it. Yesterday however on some steep downhill my rear disc brakes became very loud. When i got to the bottom of the mesa and the terrain leveled out the brakes sounded normally. Took a look at the brakes today and everything seems to be structurally sound. Rode around on the street today to see if they were still loud but its impossible to recreate the intensity of the downhill ride. So basically my brakes are making a loud noise when putting a lot of pressure on them. Is this a sign of something? Am I doing something wrong? How do I fix it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Every couple rides, I clean my rotors with rubbing alcohol. It gets rid of the grime and the loud noise.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    What kind of brakes? Did you bed them in according to the kind you have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knl2stl View Post
    What kind of brakes? Did you bed them in according to the kind you have?
    Shimano BRM 445 disc hydraulic disc. Didnt really know what bedding them in was til you asked me so the answer is no. I rode around on the street for half an hour and did test them a bit if that counts.

mtbr member
    Your test ride probably did not bed them in properly, and it might be too late now, but if you still have braking power, don't worry about that yet. As Rad Rider suggested, cleaning rotors with alcohol might help, and even the pads. Just do a few hard stops before you hit the dirt. And, be clear on the bed in procedure for your kind of brakes. Often the bedding in helps align the pads to the rotors. It sounds like your noise is not really all that bad / constant, and often it can go away with time.

mtbr member
    could be a pad shifting. which would also explain why it is intermittent or only under hard braking. something to check out
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    cool, thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wish my bike shop said something about bedding the pads when I picked up a new ride a few days ago. Oops!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    Wish my bike shop said something about bedding the pads when I picked up a new ride a few days ago. Oops!
    same here. had my first ride today and did 15 miles without knowing this. im going to read the owners manual before bed to see what it says

pun not intended
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My front brakes were grinding pretty loud the other day on a long (8 mile) fast steep downhill trail. I'm a pretty big guy and was getting on the brakes pretty hard coming into the corners. I just assumed that something was heated up to the point that things were expanding and something was rubbing somewhere.

Once I slowed down the sound went away so I figured my heat theory was holding true.
    I was washing my bike, cleaning/lubing my chain yesterday when I noticed what was really making the sound.
    Somehow the loose end of the brake cable with the little crimped deal on the end got sucked inbetween the rotor and brake caliper. The end of the cable is pretty chewed up but I took the caliper off and the pads and rotor still look good.

Thats why I wash all my toys from cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats on down. I always find broken/worn out stuff before it causes major problems.