1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Los Angeles commuting - Recommend inexpensive durable road tires for MTN bike (26")

I use my GT avalanche 3.0 to commute and it currently has 2.6x2.1 knobbies. Problem is, i commute 21 miles to work...one way. Recommend me some decent road/street tires that can handle:
    -glass
    -bumps in sidewalk/street
    -small holes
    -pebbles
    -whatever else hazards is in Downtown Los Angeles.

I need something thats:
    -better than my rolling resistance now
    -durable, won't puncture easily
    -last long

My LBS has Tioga City Slicker tires (26"x1.5 or 1.25) 28$ a piece. Anywhere else I can find them? Tioga site doesnt have a Find Dealer option
    Are all Tioga City Slicker tires built with kevlar lining?

Or even Forte' Gotham's @ Performance Bike? But they are like 900g in weight. for 26x1.75
    Would it be better to mix and match the two? Forte's seem like hybrids with more grip, would those be suitable for front or back?

Thank you.
    Last edited by adrianm1188; 07-25-2011 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Kenda K838s...$12 @ dick's

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I used some 26 X 1.25 slicks from nashbar for around $20, they worked very well when I was training for a long road ride. I actually don't need them anymore. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out if you have time to wait for shipping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Couldn't find those kendra's at ***** sportingoods site.

Quote Originally Posted by AntagonistHero View Post
    I used some 26 X 1.25 slicks from nashbar for around $20, they worked very well when I was training for a long road ride. I actually don't need them anymore. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out if you have time to wait for shipping.
    what type?

Hi.
    One of the best tires available is the Schwalbe Marathon. They have a newer model (that I haven't used) that's supposed to have even better wear and flat protection, called the Marathon Supreme.

They are expensive @$50 each, but they'll last a long time and will perform well for your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat.../dp/B001GSKWQC

T.W.O.
    If you want it cheap then check out performance bike. Their house brand I picked up a few for $8 a piece when they were on sale. Then you can get some tire liner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How significant is tire weight? The performance bike are 920g for 1.75x26"

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianm1188 View Post
    How significant is tire weight? The performance bike are 920g for 1.75x26"
    Does it matter? You are running them on the street especially if you need puncture protection it would be heavier anyways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Does it matter? You are running them on the street especially if you need puncture protection it would be heavier anyways.
    I was coming from the POV of not knowing how much of a difference tire weight plays a roll in rolling resistance. My apologies.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianm1188 View Post
    I was coming from the POV of not knowing how much of a difference tire weight plays a roll in rolling resistance. My apologies.
    Not an attack on your post. From my experience there's no need for super light weight stuff. There's not much difference when it comes to a commuter tires. I'd say size play more role of rolling resistance, a 1.25" would roll better than 1.95". I was quite happy with my wire-bead 1.25" commuter.

mtbr member
    i'm sure the weight is fairly negligible at that cost, if kevlar is employed i'm sure it'll be heavier. And yes weight plays into rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks guys! much appreciated.

mtbr member
    btw i cycle in the valley, Tarzana area... I hate driving down town LA, how you cycle around the ****-hole is beyond me....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ldollard View Post
    btw i cycle in the valley, Tarzana area... I hate driving down town LA, how you cycle around the ****-hole is beyond me....
    Its not easy but its beats being stuck for an hour on the 10 freeway.

since i've been biking, my stress levels have decreased dramatically. It's like a whole new world.