1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Loose Spokes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Loose Spokes

As I was filling my rear tire yesterday, i noticed a loose spoke. I haven't had time to research how to fix it - hope I don't need any special tools.

Does this mean my wheel is not true? Any real danger from riding this way for a short time? I'd appreciate any advice on dealing with it...thanks.

mtbr member
    spoke wrench and tighten. Or small adjustable wrench. The wheel can be damaged like this. Most multi tools have spoke wrench built in. I run v-brakes so an out of true wheel will drag the brakes. However those same brakes are perfect for poor mans wheel turing stand.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by portlander View Post
    As I was filling my rear tire yesterday, i noticed a loose spoke. I haven't had time to research how to fix it - hope I don't need any special tools.

Does this mean my wheel is not true? Any real danger from riding this way for a short time? I'd appreciate any advice on dealing with it...thanks.
    Probably a little out of true.

Get a pencil and hold it up to the rim.....where it marks the rim is where it is out of true...

First lossen the spokes to ket the rim move in the direction it needs to..

Then tighten the spokes to "pull the wheel back to true"

Do two or three spokes on either side of the wow.....on both sides onside looser...one side tighter.

Usually it only takes a turn or two on each spoke....