1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Loose bottom Bracket/Crank, ned help.

I have a Schwinn Midmoor, how exactly am I supposed to service the bottom bracket, is it sealed?

Every time I peda(down stroke) there is a grinding sound, and it feels rough, I know I am doing damage, which is why I try not to ride it.

There is also horizontal/left to right play on the crank set.

Here is a pick of what the crank looks likes.
    Name:  Schwinn-Midmoor-Mens-Hybrid-Bike-Pedal.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  22.1 KB

What tools do I need to fix it, any ideas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    You'll need a 14 mm socket to take off the crankarms nuts and a crankarm puller to get access to the bottom bracket. If it's a sealed bb and the cups are tight (you'll need the appropriate cup tool/ depends on bb manufacture) then it's shot and you will need a new one. A cup and ball bearing one can be adjusted as long as there is no internal damage, you would need a lockring tool and a pin spanner to it, though it could be hacked with crude tools. It might be cheaper and easier to have a bike shop do it.

Are you sure it's not just the crankarm nuts that are loose? That will cause a loud creaking noise during each pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Are you sure it's not just the crankarm nuts that are loose? That will cause a loud creaking noise during each pedal stroke.
    That could be what it is, I just have no idea how to tighten it.

It is a very loud and somewhat dull metallic sound, it sounds like metal to metal contact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Yeomen View Post
    That could be what it is, I just have no idea how to tighten it.

Pull off those grey plastic caps in the center of the cranks with a small screwdriver or pick and check to see if the nuts under them are tight. There is a proper torque specification for those but really tight will do, better then leaving them loose if that is the case.

mtbr member
    Thank you, it worked, there is no noise, but I can still tell that the bearings are shot.

I'll look for a long term fix.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Make sure it's the bottom bracket and not the pedals before you spend money. IME, it's a lot easier to wear out a pedal bearing.

If you drop the chain onto the bottom bracket shell so you can turn the crank without turning the rear wheel, you can probably tell just by turning the crank and then the pedals individually with your fingers - you'll actually feel the bearings grinding.

If it is the bottom bracket, consider a whole new crankset. It'll be more expensive now but you'll be able to replace the chain rings when they wear out. I just hate to spend money supporting a disposable part.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I forgot to ask something else, where can I buy the correct parts?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depending on how much you can spend, how nice of parts you want, and the level of service you're looking for, there's your Local Bike Shop, maybe a community bike shop or coop, and The Internet. On the 'net, the best prices going tend to be nashbar.com, performancebike.com, pricepoint.com, sometimes backcountryoutlet.com. Also check Amazon and Google Shopping.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Plenty of new and used parts on Ebay ,if you know what you need.