mtbr member
    May 2011

Looong ride. What do you eat?

Going on my first epic weekend of nothing but riding. I never get to do this kind of thing because Iíve created a life that wonít allow it. I would like to get the most out of the weekend but I need advise on what I should eat before and during my all day ride. Itís about a 3 hour drive to the trail head and I plan to be there riding all day. If I have any left in the tank Iíll hit the trail the next morning before I head back home. Iím in decent shape for a weekend warrior type and I know how to hydrate myself but Iíve never really been on the bike for longer than three hours or so and I donĎt eat during my rides.

So, what is your pre epic ride meal and what actually works to keep you going besides water, water, and more water?

Thanks.

local trails rider
    One rule is: only eat things that you know your stomach can handle.

During a recent endurance race, I hear bananas dipped in salt was a favorite during pit stops. Carbs for energy and salt to replace all the salt that comes out with sweat.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Class Clown
    PBJ and fruit

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    granola bars, candy bars (when you feel light headed or no gas), nuts, bananas, a whole wheat muffin or two.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like Cliff Bars. They are one of the few bar foods that agree with my stomach when I'm working hard.

and +1 on the PBJ.

It's all about the FSR!
    + 1 on Cliff bars. I always have at least one in the pack just in case. I also have a few Hammer Gels or Cliff Bloks in there as well.

mtbr member
    Turkey pepperoni and string cheese (Fats, salts, Proteins)
    Some sort of Granola (Carbs, and sugar)

For recovery I take a B multivitamin, electrolyte pill, 2 aspirin and a cold beer

edit forgot a few things.

If I am bonking quick I eat a Stinger Gel (http://www.honeystinger.com/)
    If I am burning out I eat one of the other types of gels (with caffeine in it)

I have found that a diet with fruit, tends to make you "go" where the bears do in the woods.

Hi.
    During long rides and races, I eat PBJ with bananas and honey. It packs well, keeps in the heat, and gives a ton of balanced energy.

Make sure you're not drinking only water during your long ride - you will be sweating out your salts, so you need to rehydrate and take some kind of salt pill. Hammer Endurolytes are my favorite. Electrolyte-rich supplements also work well.

T.W.O.
    I agree with bananas. I'd also stock some energy bars to munch on the climb and keep a few blockshot in the bag for emergency They are pretty good if you went past the point, they can fuel you up faster than energy bars. I usually don't like to do anything heavy because I don't know how my stomach would take it, to echo what pertime said.

mtbr member
    toast with some jam on it two slices at max 45 mins before and some cliff bars during.
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

mtbr member
    Heed, Perpetuem tablets, Endurolytes, and PB&J for solid food.
    Niner Jet9, Niner Air9C
    Trek Domane, Scott CR1

Watch Your Line: Techniques to Improve Road Cycling Skills

banned
    Whole milk mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatos, salmon skin rolls, Trail Mix, and beef jerky.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the input. Hopefully it will keep me going all day. Can't wait for tomorrow!
    Last edited by droptheclaw; 07-16-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: stupid pic

EDR
    Looong ride. What do you eat?
    Food. Seriously.

FWIW I find that for all day riding heavy multigrain bread with peanut butter and honey works. cliff bars are good. Heck, last time I was in Moab my buddy broke out a 1ft summer sausage from his pack, we took a knife to it and ate it like there was no tomorrow. Trail mix with M&M's is great but not substantial, the whole grain bread type sandwich will do for that. Apples are good for a snack, they seem like a dessert when you have been on the trail for hours. So sweet! Salty food (see trail mix) is good for the stamina, you need those salts. Pack some Fig Newtons in your Camelbak! They're like Heaven when your bonking...You'll thank me later

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Definitely Clifbars. They're small and easy to carry. +1 to pbj. I usually don't use the jelly though because it makes the bread soggy. I'm picky. Hammer gels or things similar. Honey is better than jelly, anywho.

Somebody else said "food." For me, that's pretty much it. Don't stop in the middle of an epic and have a full meal because that will just screw you up but definitely carry something that worka for you. Drink a lot, stay on top of electrolytes, and eat (small amounts) often. "A lot" and "small amounts" are subjective but what I said works for me.

Based on the times for your usual rides mentioned in the OP I'd say our times are similar. Personally I'd carry a couple bars and/or gels, a banana, a bottle of electrolyte solution, and definitely a pbj or two and a couple Snickers (not because they're good for you but because they taste good after a long day).

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by acanfield View Post
    Heed, Perpetuem tablets, Endurolytes, and PB&J for solid food.
    Replace the jelly with honey and you have a winning combination. well I use unflavored perpetuem mixed with heed in bottles, but that's a minor detail.

banned
    Mar 2011
    Beer and hot dogs.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Cliff bars, OG power bars, skittles and mike n ikes during. I eat a bananna and some nuts before. And I mix up some Hammer HEED in my camelbak
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Cliff Bars, Fig Newtons, Milkyway or Snickers and Hammer Gels.