1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

looking for some tips

My friend and I are just starting out, we have been riding on wide trails. We have both noticed our bikes are very hard to control when going downhill o gravel. I am working during if that is noreal. We trying to get use to this so we can start introducing more complicated and harder trails down the road. I am also wondering what are some good ways to increase our skills beside riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Gravel, by its nature, is loose and moves around. The bike always feels a bit unstable to me when riding and cornering on it. Slow down and continue looking where you want the bike to go and you'll be fine.

I've found this forum and/or Youtube to be very helpful in improving your riding skills while sitting in a comfy chair! Do a search on Youtube for the particular skill you want to improve and you'll find dozens of videos to help you out.

mtbr member
    Sand and gravel are tough to master but with practice can be fun to ride.

Don't choke the handlebar and lock your arms, remember bend your elbows, heavy feet and light hands and if you go downhill standing on the pedals pinch the nose of the seat with your thighs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

looking for some tips

I would say learn to move your body around the bike and look up cornering positions. Also, go do some single track and gradually build up your skills. Gravel alone won't do much and single track time will translate on the gravel roads. Good luck.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You've just got to be light on the bike. Try to lift off your seat and don't lock up your arms.. Just let the bike do it's thing. The more you trust your bike, and the more time you spend on it will let you know when it's doing something you don't want it to do, and you'll be able to correct it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    You've just got to be light on the bike. Try to lift off your seat and don't lock up your arms.. Just let the bike do it's thing. The more you trust your bike, and the more time you spend on it will let you know when it's doing something you don't want it to do, and you'll be able to correct it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    This!

Also ride as much as you can. You will only truly improve with lots of practice.

turtles make me hot
    Get the widest rims and tires that will fit on your bikes.
    I hit a large sandy patch at the bottom of a pretty fast downhill and on my 29er, it's a handful hitting the sand at speed. On my fatbike, I fly over it in complete control.
    I like turtles