1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

looking for some input on bike choices.

I currently own a 2003 Specialized RockHopper FSR XC Comp, and its worked out well for me, but I'm giving it to my fiance to ride (who actually fits it better than I do).

So, I've been digging around on Craigslist and my LBS trying to find something to grow into.

I've found 2 bikes I'm relatively interested in - A 2011 Jamis Drakar XCT 3.0, and a 2005 Specialized S-Works Epic Comp Disc.

Jamis XCT 3.0 All Mountain Full Suspension Bike
    and
    Specialized S-Works mountain bike

My budget is ~$1200, so I'd need to see if either seller would even be willing to sell at that price.

For riding style, I'd say we're right at the cross between XC and All Mountain. We're generally hitting the various trails all around upper and lower Michigan.

My main concerns:
    Which is the better bike for my intended use?
    Resale value 2 years down the road should I upgrade again.
    Which has better components?

I'm open to any suggestions or comments.

T.W.O.
    The epic is definitely a better equipped bike however it's a race bike not as versatile as the drakar. I had the '07 S-Work, it's a great climbing bike but not so much descending. It's closer to hardtail than FS.

I looked in your area CL but there's not a whole lot of selection right now. I'd say the newer FS specialized, Giant Trance, cannondale Rush or Rize, Santa cruz superlite, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ended up talking the seller of the jamis down to within my budget. I'm omw right now to go look at it. Thanks for the help. That also my concern with the s-works being more of a hardtail. Actually everything i read painted it more like a stumppy HT with a back shock.

** Update **

I ended up buying the Dakar. It feels like a really nice bike for the price. I ended up getting it (minus the pedals) for within my budget price, and it blue books out for far more than I paid, so I am content.

As much as I would love to own an S-Works, I think this will fit my needs better.

Thanks All !
    Last edited by chosos; 06-02-2013 at 05:19 PM.