1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Looking for some feedback on a bike...

I apologize if this is on here somewhere...I have been trying to search and read everything I can and been using the search button a good bit. But I have to ask! I am at the point now that I will be buying one this week or next. Still kinda torn with what to do with a few different bikes and options. But this one in particular I found has me wondering....

So has anyone dealt with these guys or ridden one of these bikes?

The specs and reviews look good, but since I cant see it in person and Im still new at this, I dont know if this is a good buy or not. Im not looking for the best thing out there, but I want a VERY good bike at a semi decent price. I am looking more less for a Free Ride bike I believe. From the research and information I have gathered, thats the style of riding I will be doing. Some street, some trails, and definately some jumps. Basically looking for what a dirtbike would do without the motor! LOL!

Here is the bike I found, but dont know much about it or have seen anything or heard anything from the LBS or other sources.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tom_team08.htm

It is a 2008 Motobecane Fantom Team Mountain Bike

Shimano XTR, Reba Team, Bonus Lockout Front, Newest Rockshox Monarch 4.2 rear

Check out the link and give me your honest thoughts and opinions. Please be open and honest on it, because it is a good chunk of money and I dont want to waste it! Its a bit more than I was looking to spend...but If its that good I will.

Thanks!

Freshly Fujified

Wrong bike for Freeride

The bike you're looking at is a lightweight XC racing bike. It is not meant for the type of abuse that will come from urban and freeride type riding. Take a look at the Downhill/freeride forum and check out some of the bikes the guys are riding in that forum. That should give you some insight into the type of bike you should be looking at.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

What could go wrong ...
    While that bike has some good components on it and its a decent frame (I considered it but went with a VooDoo Canzo 26) it is by no means a Free Ride bike it is meant for XC riding and probably isnt the best choice for doing a lot of jumping and for $1900 you can find something more suited to that style of riding.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Would free riding be the right category of what I will be doing?? Here is a video I found of exactly what a couple buddies and I will be attempting and doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVAccWTrnIQ

Those kinda jumps and abuse is what I am looking to do! But some occasional of the other stuff, just normal trails and so forth with the wife and some around town riding. But hardcore weekends would consist of traveling and building some places like the video above.

What would you guys call that? Is it freeride/downhill? Just so I know what kinda bike i need to be more looking at.

What could go wrong ...
    Yes you need to be looking at All Mountain or Free Ride bikes to ride like that ... the video is NOT XC riding

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    Yes you need to be looking at All Mountain or Free Ride bikes to ride like that ... the video is NOT XC riding

Thank you! So what are your thoughts on the Specialized Stumpjumper FRXC I believe thats what it was, or what about the Trek Fuel EX8 2008 model? I found a Gary Fisher 2006 Cake 1 dlx that I am in love with, but dont think its gonna be the right bike or size. Are those bikes more what I should be looking at? in your opinion?

What could go wrong ...
    I really like the GF Cake also but it along with the Trek Fuel are really XC bikes you need to look at something like the Giant Glory http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...in/1287/29382/ or the Trek Session 88 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/session88dh/ these are just examples for you to look at. just go to any bike company website and look at the free ride bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    I really like the GF Cake also but it along with the Trek Fuel are really XC bikes you need to look at something like the Giant Glory http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...in/1287/29382/ or the Trek Session 88 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/session88dh/ these are just examples for you to look at. just go to any bike company website and look at the free ride bikes
    Thank you for your help Zoke2...The Trek you put on here is simply badass! But I can only imagine what the price of that bike is. In the latest issue of MBA I found a 2007 Kona Stinky for a doable price. Says Freeride 7" travel, Fox Vanilla. Have any input on those bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomos
    Thank you for your help Zoke2...The Trek you put on here is simply badass! But I can only imagine what the price of that bike is. In the latest issue of MBA I found a 2007 Kona Stinky for a doable price. Says Freeride 7" travel, Fox Vanilla. Have any input on those bikes?
    That is the type of bike you are looking for. Konas are cool bikes.

What could go wrong ...
    Now your on the right track ... Kona makes a great bike - i wanted a Kona Kikapu XC bike - the Stinky should be better for the type of riding your looking to do. I know the examples i posted were a lot higher in cost but they were just to show you what to look for and dont forget to budget for all the other stuff you will need such as a full face helmet, body armor, gloves etc