1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Looking to purchase a Mountain Bike for all types of riding.

Hi there,

I recently took a much break from cycling, and I've been back on my road bike trying to regain some fitness so I can enjoy cycling more. My current mountain bike is a Apollo Vigilante however I cracked the frame, and I bought it second hand with broken forks (It now has the cheapest Suntours I could find) and it's been converted to single speed.

This.. This won't cut it. I'm looking to purchase a new mountain bike, I'd like to spend only about $500 or so, but I don't really have a budget. I mean, if it were worth it I'd spend more but for this bike, I'd love to keep it at the $500 AUD range or so.

I guess I want to go ride general trails. I've always wanted to try Downhill and there are some small downhill tracks about an hour away I'd love to hit. So I guess a bike that can handle rough terrain yet also be used for jumping would be great, but a bike primary for trails (And messing around in the bush) with the ability to let me try my hand at downhill every now and then.

Here's a catch, the LBS around me only seem to stock Giant.. Which I see quite expensive and limits my range. I'm about 175cm tall and think I'd suit a medium frame. I've also been looking at brands like Poloygon, Reid & HASA which I think have some really good features at a budget price.

One bike I've really liked, is the Poloygon Xtrada 4.0, a $525AUD 27.5 MTB.. 2015 Polygon Xtrada 4.0 - Mountain Bike 27.5", Shimano Acera 27 Speed

What do you guys think, or what would you suggest? Thanks!

On wuss patrol
    I would suggest that you don't go DH-ing or jumping with a $500 bike. Just ride the general trails, more XC if you will. An occasional blip off a kicker or minor rough terrain now and then shouldn't be a problem but an alloy, XC-type hard tail will have a short life with extreme riding.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Oldschooler
    I agree with Clyde- don't try and break a $500 bike. Cuz you will. And most likely parts of you, too.

That said, give Bikes Direct a try. I've heard a ton of snobs poo-poo them, but they have good to excellent bikes cheap.

Lots of stuff to choose from, wide array of components, drivetrains, etc. Kenisis frames (they make just about every frame out there- including the big guys).

Skimping issues- usually no-name hubs. Not terrible, but impossible to find compatible cups, etc. if you kill one.

I've dealt with them a LOT (cuz I'm insanely broke. I quit jobs to go riding and stuff.) and their customer service is top notch.

A great alternative if you're on a tight budget. Despite what the brand-name snobs say. I'd rather see brothers and sister riding than working overtime to pay off that whip they couldn't afford, yo.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Giant is solid brand, and in general one of the better bang for your buck bike brands. Their bikes have excellent frames and good quality components for a given price point.

since 4/10/2009
    Scratch downhilling from what you want the bike to do, and pick what you like and fits your budget. Rent a real downhill bike when you want to go do that type of riding. Bikes built for downhilling will start in the multi-thousand range. It is what it is. To get parts strong and reliable enough to handle the abuse, they're going to cost more.