1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Looking to purchase a FS MTB under $1000

Hi all,

I'm in the market to purchase a used FS bike under $1000. It's the offseason and I think this is the best time for me to buy. I have previously owned a 09 Trance X4 for only one season. This was my first FS bike. I sold it but I think I should've kept it. What bikes are in the used market in my price range?

I'm looking at the following:
    Trek Fuel Ex (upper numbers 8 or 9)
    Giant Trance x2 or x1 (2008 or 2009)

I found a 09 Trance X2 on craigslist but the owner wants $1000. It has a few scratches on the top tube and 3 dents underneath the bike (BB). I haven't offered him a price yet but I was thinking around $750.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bike blue book or ebay will get you prices .

Looking to purchase a FS MTB under $1000

Be patient on the used market. Lots of folks have stuff listed for more than it's realistically worth. Dents are evidence the whole bike has been ridden hard and may not have been taken care of. Only asking for $250 off would be a crime.

I got a 2010 carbon blur xc with full xtr for my wife (prob a $7000 bike) for $1800 shipped. It was ridden hard but the owner demonstrated to me that she maintained it well. It exceeded my expectations and has been an outstanding bike for my wife.

You need to know how to tell if a bike has been abused or not. Some parts you cannot tell in pics so you have to look at other parts that will show more obvious signs of abuse. If you are not sure, your offer should reflect that and you should be forward about your uncertainty

mtbr member
    You're probably looking at a 26" at this price, which isn't such a bad thing. Scour and offer but beware of scammers. Also, don't expect pristine for a grand. It's going to be a arduous search.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Keep an eye out on craigslist and be ready to jump on a good deal. I found my FS bike for less than 1k, and mine is an '08 that was lightly ridden. Be patient and dont talk yourself into something you dont really like. I almost ended up buying an old Turner just because it was FS in my price range but it was not the particular kind of bike i was looking for (it was an xc bike but i was looking for something more all mountain).