1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Looking for a new REAL frame

So I recently started getting into mountain biking, but I have been using a Mongoose that I got from walmart when I was like 15. Not only has this bike caused me physcial harm, but it is really frustrating because everything is failing on it. It is a dual suspension and I would like to get another one if I can (I know they are way more expensive) and I have a few questions.

1) Is a hardtail bike too rough of a ride? or is a good place to start?

2) How can I tell what size bike I need? I am about 5'10" 170lbs

3) I am looking to buy used on ebay or craigslist fairly cheaply and I have no idea what to look for. Any help on brands/models? I also plan on upgrading so what should be the first thing I should be looking to change?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What's your budget, and whereabouts do you live?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    What's your budget, and whereabouts do you live?
    I live in Connecticut and I have ~$500 budget currently, but every month I am saving more and more.

mtbr member
    What kind of trails are you riding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    What kind of trails are you riding?
    I'm not really sure how to answer this haha. I'm still too much of a noob, but I am riding trails in the woods that are very root-y and rocky nothing with like big jumps or anything crazy. Again I'm not really sure what I am even saying haha

mtbr member
    Lots of climbing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Lots of climbing?
    Yeah all there are here are hills. Both up and downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could go to some shops to test ride some bikes to get an idea of the size and what you might like in a bike. I'm 6' ,I own and ride medium's and large's.They might have something on sale that you like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epwna View Post

1) Is a hardtail bike too rough of a ride? or is a good place to start?

2) How can I tell what size bike I need? I am about 5'10" 170lbs

3) I am looking to buy used on ebay or craigslist fairly cheaply and I have no idea what to look for. Any help on brands/models? I also plan on upgrading so what should be the first thing I should be looking to change?
    1. No. They are not too hard to ride. Even in the rough stuff. Many, many people ride hard tails. Of course full suspension will smooth things out, they also cost a lot more. A hard tail is a perfectly good place to start or even stay.

2. Best way is to go to a shop and hop on some bikes. But at your height, you're looking at a medium or large (17"-20") depending on the bike.

3. Pretty much any of the big names are going to be decent bikes. Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, ect. There's a lot of smaller name bikes that are good and even some budget bike brands that will work. As far as first upgrades...that one is hard to answer. Really, it will completely depend on the bike you get and what's on it and the condition of those parts.

Once you find some candidates, post them up and we can help you figure out what's junk and what might be worth looking at a little closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go to REI and ride a 17 and 19 Marin Bobcat 29. Whichever size fits look for the 2013 versions offered on ebay. They have a trail ready air fork with adjustable rebound, 32mm stanchions, sealed oil damper and tapered steerer. Good Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components. I have no connection with any of these listings.
    Compare other bikes with this one. You may find deals at lbs in your area as the season goes on.