1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Looking for a New Bike

I am looking for a bike to use while I am stationed in Germany. I have been looking at the Fezzari bikes because they are at a good price and they will ship it to me. Any have any info on these bikes or know of another bike company that can ship me a bike. As of now I do not know what type of riding i will be doing as i have not been here all to long. My budget is under 2,000 shipped for a mountain bike. Any help on this would be great.

mtbr member
    I would say ( although I will never be stationed over there) buy yourself a cross country bike. It's very versatile for commuting and trail. If you find yourself doing more gravity stuff you can always buy a longer travel fork and disc brakes

-usaf
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    that is what i was thinking about but I am not all to far from the alps and there has to be something that you can ride there with a bike which is why i was thinking a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A number of online dealers in Germany ship within the country for free. Like Bike24, BikeComponents.de, H-S BikeDiscount and StarBike.
    This 2012 Scott Scale Elite29 with a dual air Reba fork is an excellent bike. The fork is very tuneable.
    Bike24 - Scott Scale 29 Elite Mountainbike silver/black 2012

Canyon is direct sales in Germany. They have the Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9 as a good value.
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9
    The CF SLX carbon version is a top pick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a New Bike-elite.jpg  

Looking for a New Bike-grand-canyon-8.9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for the links. Both of the bikes look nice but for anyone who has rode in germany before which would be better to get a hardtail or a full suspension bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    FS will be at least $1k more and unless you're in the mountain areas where you would benefit from a FS I'd ride and develop skills on a lighter HT.
    Eurobike 2011 Demo Day Report: Canyon "Grand Canyon AL 29"
    Grand Canyon AL 9.9 ?*First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Last edited by eb1888; 12-25-2012 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    5-6in travel full suspension all mountain bike with a 3ring in the front do ya just fine. check out the All Mountain section
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

no trees are safe
    I'd say check Bike-Discount, der Bike-Shop mit Best-Price Garantie They've got some great prices there. Even I am planning to buy a machine from there, and I'm not even from Germany!

As long as you don't know what you'd ride I'd suggest a 110 -130mm 26" Full sus. bike. It's should be able to absorb all beginner-intermediate trails yet be light enough to use for longer/faster XC rides. (Depending on Equipment)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is there any place to demo or rent bikes? You could at least go to some shops and test ride a few bikes ,you need to get a idea of what size of bike to get . Fit is the most important thing about bikes. Also it you don't know about repairs or have tools having a shop that you can trust can save you a lot of problems.

Cow Clicker
    Not enough information to make a suggestion. Without trail type and riding preference, we are just telling you what we would buy.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not knowing what you want is a missing piece that would be useful to know, but here's my suggestion(s):
    You could look at a hardtail SS rig...over-sized frame, long-travel fork, 1-2 ring and beefy disc brakes. The Specialized P. bikes are on the lighter end of this market segment...here's a Yeti:

Yeti Cycles / Home

These will give you the hardtail price, but with some DH/SS capability. If nothing else, you will learn how to pick good lines on these guys.

Or, as others have said, get a ht XC rig and have a solid all-around bike. Many good ones to choose from, and well within your price range. I might look at a Specialized Camber or similar FS bike, if you just have to have fs, as they tend to be sub-2 grand. I tend to see these bikes as heavy xc race bikes or neutered xc trail bikes...kinda like buying a Porsche Boxter knowing you really want a 911 . The components are alright, but you will probably soon out-grow the short travel rear suspension set-ups. And for the money, a ht bike for the same cost will probably have better stuff hanging on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i cannot really say to what type of trails there are around here but as for what type of riding i am really into anything and willing to give anything a try. I used to ride a little when i was back in NC i had an older Iron Horse Maverick 4.0ish. I liked that bike but wasnt able to bring it with me.

Also about repairs/upgrades on the bike when it is needed, i am mechanically inclined or at least i like to think i am. I have only done minor work on bikes but I loved working on my Jeep before I moved here. So I am fairly confident that i could figure it out.

Cow Clicker
    See if the base has any bikes you can check out to hit the trails a couple times before you buy anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    the base i am at doesnt have a bike rental that i know of. I dont even think they have a outdoor rec building, I think there is one at the base up the road a little ways but it is hard to get there somedays as i do not have a car yet

mtbr member
    I found 5 ski resorts in Germany. Do some research to see if they do summer biking
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

Cow Clicker
    How far are the trails from your base?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check out Focus for another nicely priced mail order bike. Also, check out some local shops - for me, test riding is a big value-added.

I'm sure there are some that are okay, but in general, I distrust direct-sale full-suspension bikes. They just don't fit into the business model of direct-sale companies that well. Or the business model of direct-sale companies doesn't fit full-suspension that well. Something like that.

A first bike is tricky because you need to have a bike, one way or another, to try the sport, but a lot of people need to try the sport for a while before they know what they want out of it, which dictates the bike. Luckily, a lot of it is setup.

IMO, stay away from a carbon frame. It adds a lot to the pricetag, people are nervous about buying them if you decide to leave it in Germany when you get your next station, and I don't think it does much for the performance of the bike.

Hard to make specific recommendations without knowing the brands in Germany. But do check out some local shops.

Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Cow Clicker
    Buy a road bike that you can ride or a car to get you to the other base and ride their bikes until you figure out what you want.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    from Vilseck to Regensburg are only a few kilometers. Take a bike firm friend and go to Zweirad-Stadler: Zweirad Stadler - Größtes Zweirad-Center Deutschlands
    They have a lot of bikes (more than online) and often good deals. When You ask, you get often up to 15%

I´m 60kms away and have some fullys. When You´re round 180 cm, You can come for a testride
    Last edited by franza; 12-28-2012 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Blah you can totally use a 29er to commute. I use an old FS 26er for that! ..even for 40-60 mile pavement rides!

If there are ANY trail systems within minutes, especially if they are in multiples then without a doubt Mountain bike.

And for some reason when I think of Germany i think of way more kick ass single track than here in Indiana. And the "not all that far from the Alps" = s exciting.

The best thing to do is scope out the trails near you. If the majority of the riding is smooth then FS may not be as worth it (unless you want it and know why), but if it's continuously bumpy then FS will be worth it as it will be more comfortable and save on energy.

mtbr member
    buy 3 bikes, i know how much you get paid...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    take a Specialized ! you will never regret.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would love to own 3 bikes but i dont have the space for them. One is pushing it, they dont give us alot of space in the barracks

mtbr member
    that settles it! you want an All Mountain bike! jack of all trades!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yep a 29er really does do everything! Heck my 26er does everything but 29er has rolling resistance advantage for fast or pavement

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast