1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    nOOb

Looking for a new 29er

Came across a '13 Scott Scale 950. One of the LBS had one for $1699.00.
    Buy Scott Scale 950, Scott, 29er Bike for Sale in Brisbane Fortitude Valley, QLD

Looked at a '13 Specialized 29 for $880.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Checked out a '13 Trek Marlin.
    2013 Marlin - Trek Bicycle

Wanted to look at a '13 Trek Mamba but they didn't have any in stock.
    2013 Mamba - Trek Bicycle

Was offered a '12 Trek Cobia for $1090.
    Cobia - Trek Bicycle

There was no Giants in stock Would have loved to seen a Talon 0.
    Talon 29er 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

There's alway's Airborne they have a great line-up.
    Airborne Bicycles. NEW Goblin
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com has plenty to offer.

So as you can tell I'm beating my head against the wall here
    Just looking for any input. Any help would be great.
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

mtbr member
    My next bike will be a 29er, just started saving money for it this month. It will be a while for me, but right now I am thinking of doing it through a LBS, so my choices will be a Specialized Rockhopper 29 like you listed, or a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4. Both are good bikes. I have a budget of $800 and those are two of the best you can get in that price range.

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonScottCarter View Post
    My next bike will be a 29er, just started saving money for it this month. It will be a while for me, but right now I am thinking of doing it through a LBS, so my choices will be a Specialized Rockhopper 29 like you listed, or a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4. Both are good bikes. I have a budget of $800 and those are two of the best you can get in that price range.
    I hate to say it but in that price the Airborne Guardian is better spec'd than both those bikes, and somewhat cheaper.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    I don't want to buy offline, I want to be able to actually try the bikes first, and LBS can do warranty work if needed. Thats just me, I know lots of people are comfortable with buying bikes offline sight unseen, but its not for me.

nOOb
    I don't want to buy offline, I want to be able to actually try the bikes first, and LBS can do warranty work if needed. Thats just me, I know lots of people are comfortable with buying bikes offline sight unseen, but its not for me.
    Yes I can understand that. There is something to be said about support from your LBS. In turn they take care of you and your bike.

I do have to admit, the specs on the two bikes you mentioned (Specialized and the Cannondale) are pretty entry level. Trek, Giant and even Scott have the same entry level componet sets and are around $200 cheaper.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    I've looked at the components, but the welding on at least the Cannondale is superior to anything else I have looked at. I want to support my LBS for sure on my next purchase. My first bike I hae now came from a ***** Sporting Goods, and I feel slightly guilty when I have my LBS work on it because there is NO WAY I would get my bike worked on at *****.

No stores in the area sell Giant or Scott. There is a store about 40 minutes away that sells Trek though. One of the LBS sells Fuji as well, but they don't stock very many of their mountain bikes. Perhaps a Fuji Nevada 2.0 29er or Nevada 3.0 29er might be an option as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've looked at the components, but the welding on at least the Cannondale is superior to anything else I have looked at. I want to support my LBS for sure on my next purchase. My first bike I hae now came from a ***** Sporting Goods, and I feel slightly guilty when I have my LBS work on it because there is NO WAY I would get my bike worked on at *****.

No stores in the area sell Giant or Scott. There is a store about 40 minutes away that sells Trek though. One of the LBS sells Fuji as well, but they don't stock very many of their mountain bikes. Perhaps a Fuji Nevada 2.0 29er or Nevada 3.0 29er might be an option as well.
    Cannndales, Treks, Giants, Specialized are all welded in the same Taiwaneese factory. Get real...

Buy cheap so you can buy the tools to wrench on it yourself. You'll appreciate it more come those dreaded trail side fixes.
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Doesn't Cannondale buff out all the welds on their fames and make everything look smooth and seemless? The welds on a Cannondale differ from any other bike I have seen at least. Being a newb, not sure if that matters or relates to better quality/strength, but differently makes the bike look better.

Cheaper from my LBS would be a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 5 or a Specialized Hardrock
    Sport Disc 29, but I was trying to at least go to hydraulic disc brakes instead of mechanical.

Master Shredder
    If I were you I'd look at the Scott Scale Comp 29er, would be my first choice for ~$1000
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jlallak View Post
    Buy Scott Scale 950, Scott, 29er Bike for Sale in Brisbane Fortitude Valley, QLD

Cobia - Trek Bicycle

Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com has plenty to offer.

Test ride the ones you can and then start narrowing it down

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did you like the scott if so looks like good deal on great bike, more than he others listed but better bike you get what you pay for. For al ittle more if you have performance near you worth cheking out their gt zaskar carbon 29er.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

nOOb
    Cheaper from my LBS would be a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 5 or a Specialized Hardrock
    Sport Disc 29, but I was trying to at least go to hydraulic disc brakes instead of mechanical.
    Yeah your right. I ride on bb5's. So I haven't felt hydros. I am looking to try them on the next bike I buy.
    '09 Cannondale F7

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    If I were you I'd look at the Scott Scale Comp 29er, would be my first choice for ~$1000
    Yeah the same LBS that has the Scale 950, I have been trying to get prices on the lesser Scales.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm riding around on the Cannondale Trail SL3. After riding it for 7 months, if I could go back and get a different bike, I wouldn't. This bike is everything I was looking for and the hydraulic disc brakes have worked flawlessly. I've only had to have the derailleurs adjusted once. The feeling was just right when I first sat on it. I don't feel like I overpaid by a single dollar. It handles and rides great.

A friend of mine just bought the Trek Mamba. It seems like a great option as well but I have to relay a problem he is having. It comes with Hayes Dyno Comp hydraulic brakes. He's had nothing but trouble from them and has been in the shop constantly to have them try to get them to work right. The problem is you can pull the brake all the way to the handlebars and it won't lock up the rear wheel; it barely slows him down actually. Kinda scary when your doing a descent. And they make an odd noise. He has found a shop now that says they've figured out the setup trick to get them to work properly and I'll find out tomorrow. It sounds like the shop has fixed several of these also.

Good luck with your purchase.

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Did you like the scott if so looks like good deal on great bike, more than he others listed but better bike you get what you pay for. For al ittle more if you have performance near you worth cheking out their gt zaskar carbon 29er.
    Yeah the Scale 950 is a great bike. It has been really hard not walking out the door with it. As for the GT. Performance Bikes just dropped the price $200.
    2012 GT Zaskar Carbon 29er Comp Mountain Bike -- Performance Exclusive - 29er Mountain Bikes
    The GT is spec'd a little lower than the 950. but it is a carbon frame.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cobia - Trek Bicycle

You need to pick a budget, then compare similar models. Not being a dick just realistic, you have a 2k bike that's on sale for 1.6k in a list of bikes that cost 1k or less. Of course the Scott is the better bike, but you're not comparing apples to apples.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You need to pick a budget, then compare similar models. Not being a dick just realistic, you have a 2k bike that's on sale for 1.6k in a list of bikes that cost 1k or less. Of course the Scott is the better bike, but you're not comparing apples to apples.
    That's not entirely correct. I have looked at a '12 GT Zaskar Carbon 29er. $1799. Saw a Specialized Comp Carbon 29. $2400.
    My point being I've looked at a lot of bikes. Would I be happy on a 2k bike? Sure. I also know I would enjoy a $500 closeout special like the Diamondback overdrive 29er.
    Diamondback Overdrive 29er Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To be safe and enjoy that OD offroad you need a fork with rebound dampening to add to it. At least a rockshox XC 28 or 32.
    2012 Scale 29 Elite has a fork I would prefer from a maintenance standpoint. A1300 priced one would be a good option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's not entirely correct. I have looked at a '12 GT Zaskar Carbon 29er. $1799. Saw a Specialized Comp Carbon 29. $2400.
    My point being I've looked at a lot of bikes. Would I be happy on a 2k bike? Sure. I also know I would enjoy a $500 closeout special like the Diamondback overdrive 29er.
    If that Overdrive is on your list then this one is better:

Diamondback Overdrive Expert 29er Mountain Bike - Twenty Niner

The "Expert" model is a Performance/Nashbar exclusive that sits between the Base Overdrive and the Sport model.

Right now though it is Lower priced than the Base model, has Free shipping (through the 9th) and the Suntour fork on this one at least has a lock out.

Add this to it:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29er Coil Fork

And you have a fairly decent entry level 29er for $600 (less if you manage to get $40-50 back for the stock Suntour fork on Ebay).
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well we have to go by your original post and that list has one 2k bike and the rest are 1k or less.

I still say you need to pick a budget first, looking at $500 bikes and a 2k bikes is going to make you beat your head on the wall. I personally don't understand why you'd settle if you can afford the Scott.

The other thing is you haven't described the riding you do. If you're buying a Mountain bike to ride on pavement then yea, a $500 will be fine.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Well we have to go by your original post and that list has one 2k bike and the rest are 1k or less.

I still say you need to pick a budget first, looking at $500 bikes and a 2k bikes is going to make you beat your head on the wall. I personally don't understand why you'd settle if you can afford the Scott.

The other thing is you haven't described the riding you do. If you're buying a Mountain bike to ride on pavement then yea, a $500 will be fine.
    Well I've listed several bikes since the original post. I just realized that not everyone will read every response. I guess I could go back and edit the original post, then again that would end up being a long post.

Your right about my riding, I'm hitting up some nice single tracks, intermediate loops with some technical stuff. Nothing too serious though.

I wouldn't say I'd be settling if I did purchase a $500 bike. My reasons for this post was to help me decide at what price point do I want buy a bike in. To talk myself into or out of buying a 2k bike. There really is no right or wrong decision, either way I'd still be getting a new bike. Call it a general discussion on 29ers.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Meet yourself about halfway and go with a $1100-$1200 bike. :-)

If you say nothing to serious (which is the kind of riding I do), I wouldn't spend it on a bike in the 2k range, I don't even see myself ever needing a full suspension bike with the kind of riding I like to do. A hardtail works just fine for me.

It's all about preference. Are you leaning towards hardtail 29ers only?

nOOb
    Meet yourself about halfway and go with a $1100-$1200 bike. :-)

If you say nothing to serious (which is the kind of riding I do), I wouldn't spend it on a bike in the 2k range, I don't even see myself ever needing a full suspension bike with the kind of riding I like to do. A hardtail works just fine for me.

It's all about preference. Are you leaning towards hardtail 29ers only?
    You know I think I'm leaning towards the closeout '12 Trek Cobia @ $1090. Course that could change? As for a FS, I considered it but ultimatly decided on a 29".
    Last edited by jlallak; 08-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    '09 Cannondale F7