1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Looking at my first bike in years

Hi everyone..new to the forums here..

I'm moving to Vancouver Island for work in July and want a bike for commuting instead of my truck. I've been looking at a Rocky Mountain Soul (2009) for $599.00.

I've haven't touched a pedal bike for near 16 years..Is this a good beginners bike for taking to work and the occasional trail? Is the price good? The shop (in Edmonton AB) will custom tune to my height, size, etc they said (stem length, seat, etc) and I'll be adding a baby trailer eventually as well.

So..what do the "alot" more knowledgeable folks here have to say...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No one ?

mtbr member
    Seems that the price is a bit high for a 2009 bike with the specs of the Soul assuming they are the same or similar to the 2010 bikes. But that might just be because you are in Canada? Rocky Mountain is a good company though. There is a dealer near me and the bikes they stock are nice. What other bikes does your LBS offer? For $600 you should have several options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This one LBS carries Rocky Mountain, Lapierre, Kona, Santa Cruz and Orbea. This one bike was the one that he showed my (list's there for $799). I like it, but the front shock does not have a lockout (not a biggie I guess)

I was looking at a Trek 4300 (I think) at another store..they wanted $625 for it (2009 too I believe)..

As well, was looking at a Giant Rincon at yet another shop..

I want to stay around the 600$ mark with discs.
    Last edited by Spetz1; 04-16-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Soul looks like a decent deal to me, assuming the '09 has about the same spec. My Hardrock listed for more and came with an 8-speed drivetrain and an RST fork - you're starting out at 9-speed and a name-brand fork.

If it fits, go for it. There might be some Konas at your pricepoint too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for you help.. I think I'll go with the Rocky Mountain next week..