1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Jul 2013

Looking for my first bike

I spent the last week browsing my local bike shops and found out that I really like the feel of the 26" bikes best. There were only a few to try out as it seems 26ers are going out of style but I really liked the Trek 4300 Disc that I tried. Since I'm still saving a bit of my money the guy at the shop suggested I wait a month or so for the 2014 models to come out.

Are there any other good 26ers that I should look out for? I'm 5"10" and 165 lbs. Budget is around 800 dollars.

mtbr member
    I liked the Cannondale TRAIL SL 4, but I ended up getting a 29 on a sweet deal

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Some of my buddies are really liking their Cannondale Trail SL bikes and have 26" wheels. It is becoming harder to find new 26" wheeled bikes, but the classifieds usually have a nice selection if you are willing to buy used. One of my neighbors found a Stumpjumper in their size for $700.. it was only 4 years old. Disc brakes definitely provide good stopping power over most V-brakes and the guy at the shop is right. If you wait, they 13s will go on sale or maybe the 14s will be have better specs. I am not sure if the Giant Talon still comes in 26", but that is another good bike. Ultimately, the best bike is the one you love to ride. If that happens to be a $300 Fixie you got off the classifieds.. cool. Good luck.

mtbr member
    A first bike doesn't necessarily have to be new. With a budget of $800, you'd probably be getting a much better bike if you bought a used one that was a couple of years old or just to save money. On CL (SF), there is a 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail bike for $425.00 which you can probably talk down. It retails for $799 so thats pretty much the level of bike you'd be getting new.

Looking for my first bike-434ed292-8781-4445-bb78-67ddedec0d40.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    26 will never go out of "style"

Jul 2013
    Just found a few Cannondale dealers in my area and I'll check out the SL4 when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    A first bike doesn't necessarily have to be new. With a budget of $800, you'd probably be getting a much better bike if you bought a used one that was a couple of years old or just to save money. On CL (SF), there is a 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail bike for $425.00 which you can probably talk down. It retails for $799 so thats pretty much the level of bike you'd be getting new.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	434ed292-8781-4445-bb78-67ddedec0d40.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	819440
    I checked Craigslist and didn't see the bike you were talking about. I'm a bit wary of used bikes at this point too just because I really don't know what to look for when it comes to wear and tear on the bikes. At least with a new bike I know any issues are from something I did.