1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Looking at Hybrids today

Its time for a new bike. Last bike was a '02 Kona fire Mountain. I used it for recreational riding and commuting to work. I moved a couple times and toted the bike with me. It was in good condition till i had no choice but to shelf it on an outside covered balcony for 2 years. pulled it out the other day. Wiped the dust off and noticed every peice of metal on the thing that can rust was rusted. Rather then a rebuild I rather but new.

Budget is $500-$800 I want to keep it under $1000 or i will feel guilty.
    Looking at hybrids:

Specialized Crosstrail
    GF Kaitai, Utopia

I do want front suspension.

any other suggestions?

Bike will be used for recreation, light commuting, I'd also like to experiement with some mountain bike trails near me. I never off road on dirt trails before, If I like it I will buy a full suspension.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmeisteroni
    Its time for a new bike. Last bike was a '02 Kona fire Mountain. I used it for recreational riding and commuting to work. I moved a couple times and toted the bike with me. It was in good condition till i had no choice but to shelf it on an outside covered balcony for 2 years. pulled it out the other day. Wiped the dust off and noticed every peice of metal on the thing that can rust was rusted. Rather then a rebuild I rather but new.

Budget is $500-$800 I want to keep it under $1000 or i will feel guilty.
    Looking at hybrids:

Specialized Crosstrail
    GF Kaitai, Utopia

I do want front suspension.

any other suggestions?

Bike will be used for recreation, light commuting, I'd also like to experiement with some mountain bike trails near me. I never off road on dirt trails before, If I like it I will buy a full suspension.
    I am sure that a hybrid will fit the needs of some riders, but my take on them is that they make lousy mountain bikes and mediocre road bikes. They are awesome for cruising around, particularly an urban environment, but if you are looking for the most efficient means to cover some miles, you are better off ditching the front fork, especially if you don't plan on maintaining it.

I don't want to talk you out of a hybrid, but I would try some actual mtb hardtails and see how you like them, first. With a set of slick tires, it may serve your commuting needs as well as a hybrid, but allow you to really get a feel for trail riding. Most hybrids are going to be sort of sketchy off-road.

EDIT: After looking at the GF bikes, those do look like fun city bikes, or for riding dirt roads. I'm actually looking to build myself something like that for some exploration of back roads around here where some will be dirt and gravel. But again, I don't think they would give you a good experience on anything but the easiest actual trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks, wound up with a GF Wahoo. It actually feels like my old Fire Mountain. Paid $550 for it. I'm satisfied its pretty slick.

mtbr member
    Cannondale Quick. Here's my Modded Quick 4. (For sale BTW, I'm building a new touring bike)

Adam Ann Arbor, MI