1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    begginer
    May 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Looking for good starting bike

I am just strating out with some single track stuff and would like some advice on getting a new bike.
    1-What is the best kind of shifter?
    2-How many gears?
    3-What is the best bike for a tight budget?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I started out w/ a khs alite 300 for my first mtn. bike and just picked up a new bike. Both of my bikes are 21 speeds and that adquate's for what I do.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    1)Top of the line shifters/derailleurs are Shimano XTR, or SRAM X-0.
    2)Gears vary, but I use a 27 speed drivetrain
    3)The best bike to start out on is going to be the best bike that you can afford, and you feel comfortable on

Here's some advice. You definitely don't need to go top of the line unless you plan on racing. XTR and X-0 are very expensive, and only come equipped stock on the really high end bikes. You can get a bike equipped with lower lower level shimano or sram components for alot cheaper and they will be fine for any type of riding that you are going to do. If you think that you are going to be riding alot, and stick with mtb'ing, then you should definitley buy the best bike that you can afford right from the start. It will cost alot more money in the long run to upgrade a lower level bike, and you'll end up with a lesser quality frame most likely. Check out bikes from TREK, Giant, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Gary Fisher, Klein and any other brands that your LBS might carry. See what feels the best and make a decision based on that. Good luck
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    most mountain bikes now have either 24 (3 in fornt 8 in back) or 27 (3 in front 9 in back) gears. 24 is plenty and thats whats on most entry level bikes.

as far as bikes go id expect to spend at least $300 on a new bike. trek, giant, specialized, ironhorse, and jamis ect all have good entry level bikes.