1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Looking to get a new bike

New to the hobby and the forums.

Started off this year with a Raleight Tokul 1 hardtail. It's been doing just fine as far as an introductory bike can go.

I'm looking for some insight on what should be the next bike I purchase.

I would like to have a dual suspension bike. I reside in southern Indiana and many of the trails here are rooty with lots of climbing.

I have a budget around $2000 to work with and would be willing to spend some more is the feature set made it worth it.

I'm limited by particular brands in the region as well. Local bike shops are carrying Trek, Cannondale, GT, Scott, Raleigh, and Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Trek Superfly 9.6 carbon has the compliance you need for roots and rocks. 15% off the 2500 list should bring it closer to your budget. Only an owner or manager will give you this discount. Sales people can't.
    This rides like a 100mm fs. But it has trail feel and is light. No fs maintenance or expense. The geo is new this year and the steering is excellent. Unique.(with the 9.7 & 9.8)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The scott spark (960) is a pretty capable trail bike. Your lbs might have some 2013 on closeout which will be a good deal for you. I've seen the 2013 genius and a few sparks on sale for over 30% off at my local lbs and these are essentially the same bikes as the 2014 versions with some tweaks here and there.

If you are not opposed to assembling your own bike there are a few closeouts for Marins like this mount vision: 2013 Marin Mount Vision XM8 Full Suspension MTB Bike 26" Shimano XT NE | Random Bike Parts
    which is an awesome deal at 40% off. My husband loves Marins and swears by them. They are a pretty good value if you can get them at sale price.

I currently ride a Cannondale full suspension, wds Jekyll and I love it. It is a great all mountain/Enduro and works for Colorado trails but is a bit pricey. The Trigger is also an awesome trail bike and might be well suited for your type of trails.

2000 is a pretty decent budget, you can get a lot of bike for that money if you have the patience to do the research, go out there and do lots of test rides. At the end of the day it really is all about fit and feel. Visit you lbs and do some test rides!
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Specialized Camber is what got me to take full suspension seriously again. I think there's a model in your budget. If it doesn't ship with a nice fork and shock, though, you might want to wait another paycheck or two or until the '15s go on clearance.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Talk to this guy. amarillo bicycles classifieds "rocky mountain" - craigslist
    Really nice bike. Its is the 30. Don't know about shipping. PM me for some pics. Was talking to the guy. Wanted to buy it but couldn't swing the $ right now. It is a sweeeeet deal.