1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Looking to get an entry level mtn bike... haven't ridden for years

I haven't had a mountain bike since I was about 12 years old, but I'm looking to get back on a bike. I'm going to be riding on trails, and also some urban riding. I'd like to find something with disc brakes and a lockout suspension if possible for my price range (~$600).

I've been reading about the:

-Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc
    -Trek Advance
    -Trek Marlin

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Something I shouldn't be looking at? I don't know too much, so any recommendations will help. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pretty good reviews on the Redline Monocog Ive read or also GT Peace has come up quite a bit in my searches. Now dont hold me too it as I dont know there exact price or what components are on them but searching for "cheap/good frame" they both came up numerous times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just got into riding (I hadn't even been on a bike in over 7 years). Picked up a '10 Hardrock Sport Disc @ the LBS for $200 off... I'm extremely happy with the way the bike fits me, and am totally addicted. Bought the bike based on the price and how the bike felt, as well as snooping around here quite a bit. I'm by no means an expert, but from my experience the Hardrock is an excellent choice. No matter what you get just enjoy the trails!

Nickel Havr
    Check out the Giant Yukon... It's a bit more than $600 but it's also a full suspension bike.
    On my last trip to my LBS I saw one new for $750 and was impressed...
    I would get something that you won't have to replace once you start riding more.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Here are two bikes with lockout and 27 gears not a bad drive train for the price. I think for the price they are much better than the big brands parts wise. The only way you will come close as far as parts go on the big brands is if you find a sale on last years or something like that.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 700HT
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2010 Motobecane Fantom Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    Check out the Giant Yukon... It's a bit more than $600 but it's also a full suspension bike.
    Yeah I really dig the Yukon. I came damn close to getting one but went with a Norco Fluid that was on sale. If I had not found that Fluid, I would be riding the Yukon.

local trails rider
    My standard answer: if there's any bike shops near you, visit them, talk to the personnell try some bikes. Buy the one you like from the shop you like.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Herø
    Aug 2011
    I bought the Giant Yukon FX because I have always liked a FS. It is a great getting back onto riding bike the shocks are great I have only bottomed out the front by just pushing it down from bunny hopping but have yet to bottom out either shock on the trail! This bike is great at single trail and for a beginner it is pretty good at DH. All and all I can honestly say I was very pleased with the bike and would defiantly recommend it to a friend! The copponets are a little cheap but have yet to have anything fail on me. I am 6"1' and 230lbs, this bike is great for the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what did u pay for it?

Herø
    Aug 2011
    I gave 1000 even for it at a local bike shop.. It was worth every penny to this day I just put a computer on and took it to some trails around the Dallas, Tx area rode over 30miles of trails an downhill and it is still kicking strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkallusion View Post
    I gave 1000 even for it at a local bike shop.. It was worth every penny to this day I just put a computer on and took it to some trails around the Dallas, Tx area rode over 30miles of trails an downhill and it is still kicking strong.
    did you have to replace any of the 'cheap' components yet? I'm looking to spend about $400 on a bike for road and light trails, but don't want to have to replace a bunch of parts in the first year or 2. maybe I should look for something used, I don't know.

Herø
    Aug 2011
    No I haven't replaced anything on it, and I have crashed pretty hard a few times lol. The small block eight tires would be perfect for light trail and excellent on street as well. I have had it for about 3 months now and have about 400-450miles on it easy and everything is still strong and working great. If you have any concerns or other questions just ask I don't mind helping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    CAN'T go wrong with the Hardrock. Get the higher models with disc brakes though.

mtbr member
    i used to have this bike, costco have them for 299+ tax. its very nice for the price, only the wheels are lil heavy

Mountain Bike - XC6 - Northrock Bicycles ® - Built to be better ™

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just a thought - consider going to a midrange bike if there's any chance you'll be keeping it. Better to spend $1600 now than $5-800 then another $1600 in a year

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the XC6, I'm really happy with my bike. Northrock uses top components and the frame is awesome. The tires are WTB, they grip great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'll throw my 2 cents in since I sounds like we had/have similar circumstances. I have been out of the MTB world for about 12 years which is when a low life stole my Trek 8000. I was single at the time with no kids but got married shortly after and now have 2 daughters.

Deceided that I was finally finacially stabile enough to get back into it. Did a bunch of reading etc and hit a bunch of LBS's and rode some bikes in my price range.

Picked up my Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er disc the other day and love it so far. Put about 20 miles on it in the past couple of days and it is great. Only thing I am changing right "out of the box" are the pedals. Got a great price on it $658 instead of the list of $690. Place I got it from gives a discount if they have to order a bike for u. PLus the discount allowed me to go with the Sport level which has better brakes (avid bb5's vs shimano disc i think, plus some other alittle better componets).

Specialized has a good solid rep and does a good job equiping their "entry level" bikes with quality for the money part. I rode the 26er and the 29er versions while shopping and fell in love with the 29er.

Hope this helps

J-

mtbr member
    My brother and I have been shopping around for a starter bike. After a number of different shops, makes and models, my brother settled on a 2011 Giant Revel 0 for $650. He loves it. RockShox 100mm fork and disc brakes. Not bad for the price. I believe the 2012 has a lockout on the fork and pretty slick looking black on black paint.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am in the same boat. I hadn't really rode at all in several years and just woke up one day and decided I wanted to get back into it. Spent a few weeks watching craigslist and found a deal on an older (2005) specialized hardrock SS. I put a few bucks into it and it's ready to roll.

Figured since I'm starting out new it was better to pick up a nice cheaper bike until I feel I'm ready to drop some big money on something.

I've got $200 into it and when I decide it's time to upgrade I should have no problem making my money back.
    05 specialized hardrock SS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Get a 29er hardtail. That's pretty much the entry level mountain bike now. Hardtail will make you pick the smoother line. I have a 29er hardtail as my backup bike with a 100mm FS as my primary mountain bike.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    I love my 2011 Giant Revel 0. I got it for 524 after the tried selling the 12 to me for 650. The 12 has avid bb5 discs. and rockshox fork 100mm travel and lockout. I'd go for that. Plus the paint is good too. The only downside is they swapped out the small block 8 tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Marin Bobcat Trail is very good value for money on sale. Friend got it for $700 NZD on sale.