1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardrock Sport Disc

9 56.25%
  • Giant Yukon

4 25.00%
  • Wahoo Disc

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Looking for a first bike

I am looking for my first real bike, like everyone else it seems. I have three bikes in mind. Hardrock Sport Disc, which it seems on the forums may be heavy, but very durable. The Giant Yukon, which to me feels much like the Hardrock, but cheaper. Fianlly the Wahoo Disc, which I have not been able to ride yet and is the most expensive, but seems to be a very good beginer.

Please let me know which bikes have the best reputation and can take some abuse.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't know much about the others, but I've ridden the Yukon and liked it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    They all have good reputations. Which one fits you best? Thats the one I would get. Just for the record I have a Hardrock that I have ridden for the last few years, modified slightly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for your info. The Giant and the Hardrock feel almost identical to me. I plan on riding the Wahoo on Saturday.

The LBS thought the Wahoo may have more of a chance of breaking than the Giant.

Hopefully I will have one of these bikes by next week.

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Between the choices you have listed I would go with the Giant Yukon. I'm actually looking at that exact bike for the little lady. Have you thought about the Diamondback Response Sport of the Raleigh 5.0? My LBS has them and they are all right about the level of the Yukon.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex