1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Looking to buy a used bike... tips on what to look out for

Looking for a used bike, I'm on a small budget so there's not a whole lot of bikes to look at. Was looking pretty hard at bikesdirect.com but now looking at the resale market, cl and ebay.

There's a 2000 specialized enduro pro close to me that i'm hoping to check out.

my question is... when looking in person at a used bike, what are some signs i can look for in a bike that would be a deal breaker.
    thanks and appreciate your help.

where do frames and forks show their age most?

mtbr member
    The most important thing in buying a used bike is finding one that fits you. Next is to find one that fits the kind of riding you'll do. Also, don't expect a 10 year old bike to work as if it were brand new without some TLC.

When inspecting a frame, the first place I usually look is under and around the bottom bracket. Thats a part of the bike that gets hit constantly. You really have to look closely to find hairline cracks. The head tube is another spot to check for those. Other things, like scratches, are to be expected. Just make sure there are no dents. Dings are okay but dents, depending on where they're located, can compromise the integrity of the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    The most important thing in buying a used bike is finding one that fits you. Next is to find one that fits the kind of riding you'll do. Also, don't expect a 10 year old bike to work as if it were brand new without some TLC.

When inspecting a frame, the first place I usually look is under and around the bottom bracket. Thats a part of the bike that gets hit constantly. You really have to look closely to find hairline cracks. The head tube is another spot to check for those. Other things, like scratches, are to be expected. Just make sure there are no dents. Dings are okay but dents, depending on where they're located, can compromise the integrity of the frame.
    fitting your riding style into your budget isn't all the easy either. being new, i've tried a range of things, started out just to get some exercise on the trails, found i really like climbing but with that comes descending... which i've started to like too. so i'm trying to find a decent all mountain bike, or xc bike right now. and I don't mind giving an old bike some TLC, i'm accustomed to mainlining my old road bike.

mtbr member
    Whats your current budget for a bike right now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Cash on hand is only 400 bucks... I've been pushing it to maybe 600 or 700 for the right bike. Really tight budget and the schwinn sidewinder I'm riding can't hold up much longer

mtbr member
    You can probably check a few stores and see if you can find a 2013 Giant Talon 27.5 5 for a good sale. If you do find one, it would be around $400-500 (retails for $570). Maybe even save a few more and go get a new one. There are some nice bikes to be had at around that $500-700 price range. The Airborne Guardian is another one ($599) if you want a 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    but will those lower price shocks really hold up?
    i've looked at the airborne and like them, them see a little better than other at that price range. i did see a "focus" (german made) bike out of jenson bikes, seemed also a better deal than most in its price range, $700. i don't have my mind set on a FS bike, but would like one. I was set on a 29er when thinking new just feel like i'm paying more for the wheel size and not getting great components and shocks or brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gzank6 View Post
    I was set on a 29er when thinking new just feel like i'm paying more for the wheel size and not getting great components and shocks or brakes.
    I find that a can be a pretty accurate assessment in a lot of cases.

Older Enduros can be fun bikes, but they did have a habit of cracking at the chainstays near the BB. I doubt I'd buy one at this point without having it checked out by an experienced bike mechanic who knows where to look for issues, unless it's obviously been very lightly used.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well the enduro sold. Still searching