mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Looking to buy my first bike :)

I've been looking around for a new bike to get for myself. There aren't many trails around here, but I am really inspired to get a bike and ride it as much as possible. I've been looking mainly at Fujis, GTs, a few TREKs that my local bike shop has available, and lastly Diamond Backs. Here is a GT for $700 on craigslist
    Gt Mountain Bike
    The Fuji I like is the Nevada 1.7
    And another debate I am having amongst myself is 29" wheels or 26". I don't have many climbs so I am guessing 26" is going to be a better choice...
    Either way any help is appreciated. I have between $400 and $600 to spend. Thanks again

**EDIT**
    Q: What region of the country do I live in?
    A: South Eastern US/ South Florida

Q: Where do I plan to ride my new bike?
    A: Markham park, northern florida (orlando area)

Q: Are there any YouTube videos of the trails I plan to ride?
    A: Some yes... Here is a search result of the park > markham park mountain biking - YouTube

Q: How much time do I plan on devoting to this hobby?
    A: A few days a week. (I already have a road bike that I enjoy riding, I would just like to get into mountain biking)

Q: What is my previous cycling experience?
    A: Road biking for a year

Q: Have I participated in other hobbies, sports or activities that may give me relevant skills?
    A: Skateboarding

Q: What are my mechanical abilities?
    A: I am familiar with some things on a bike, but a few of my friends are much better than I.

Q: Do I currently own a bike?
    A: Yes a road bike.

Q: Do I currently own a helmet, gloves, padded shorts, proper shoes, Cyclocomputer, Finish line bike wash, Finishline brush kit, shop rags, chain lube, chain stay protector (I like Shelter), Gloves, good socks, solid tire pressure gauge, floor tire pump, on trail tire pump or cartridges, shock pump, good three way hex, mufti tool, spare bottles, cages, backpack to put all your gear in?
    A: Not everything there, but most of it.

Q: Why do I want to buy a new bike?
    A: Beacause I do not own a mountain bike.

Q:How much research have I already done and do I have an idea of what I want?
    A: A week or so of research, but not much of an idea...

Q: Do I have friends who are into the hobby? What's their mechanical and riding experience?
    A: My uncle and my Grandfather both ride and have been riding for years. Somewhat of a mechanical experience. Also some BMX friends who are familiar with bike mechanics.

Q: What kind of bikes do my riding buddies ride?
    A: Specialized, Giant and some others I can not name...

Q: What kind of bikes do I see on the trails I plan to ride? (Full suspension, hardtail, rigid, single speed, geared)
    A: Hardtail bikes

Q: Can I really afford this hobby? Are my credit cards paid off? Do I have savings in the bank and money to burn?
    A: I can afford up to around $600 of stuff for now, and will put more into it as the money comes in

Q: How much money do I want to spend on this hobby over the next year?
    A: $1000 possibly...

Q: What am I trying to accomplish by participating in this hobby?
    A: Get more into shape, have fun with friends and family and a good time in general.

Q: How do I expect my life to be different a year from the day my new bike arrives?
    A: More into shape and alot better at MTBing
    Last edited by Kbman; 10-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29" helps with obstacles not climbing. Larger wheels lose momentum less than 26" wheels going over rocks and roots. Look for a bike without a Suntour or RST fork. Compare it against an Airborne Guardian at 675 shipped.
    .Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Most of the bikes in my pricerange seem to have the Rock Shox. I specifically like the GT, but does anyone have one that they like or can vouch for GT being a great company that makes great bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here is also a very nice bike I found on craigslist.
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC MOUNTAIN BIKE
    I also like this one here...
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc XC Hardtail Reviews
    Last edited by Kbman; 10-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Cow Clicker
    find the Noob Buyers guide thread, answer the questions and read the thread. It will help you help us help you.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i wouldnt buy that bike ,unless i got it for under $200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    i wouldnt buy that bike ,unless i got it for under $200
    Yeah I didn't realize how old of a bike it was...

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I bought my first bike last month and it was driving me nuts. One of the LBS here has a service that I like, they have you meet the seller at their shop. They check it all out in front of both parties, give prices for repairs and let you work everything out. They don't make purchase or price recommendations. I also liked the idea because most sellers wouldn't have the balls to bring a stolen bike to a dealer to get checked out.
    I ended up wussing out and buying a new bike though. There are some pretty awesome deals out there right now since the season is slowing down and the new models are coming out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Edited first post so that you can be familiar with the places I will ride and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Treebumper View Post
    I bought my first bike last month and it was driving me nuts. One of the LBS here has a service that I like, they have you meet the seller at their shop. They check it all out in front of both parties, give prices for repairs and let you work everything out. They don't make purchase or price recommendations. I also liked the idea because most sellers wouldn't have the balls to bring a stolen bike to a dealer to get checked out.
    I ended up wussing out and buying a new bike though. There are some pretty awesome deals out there right now since the season is slowing down and the new models are coming out.
    What bike did you end up going with?

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    Scott Scale Team. It was over my budget, but with REI's stellar return policy I figured I could just take it back if I hated it. I don't see any way that I'm bringing it back though.
    The used bike that I leaned toward the most was a Redline D460. It's basically a geared version of the Monocoq. I also really liked the Surly Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm also seeming to lean towards GT, Redline or Airborne bikes...

Cow Clicker

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Why the single speed bike?

Also, if SS is the way to go, even for a noobie, then would you pay $725 for this bike, with the upgrades listen in the description when a brand new one with no upgrades at all sold for only $600?

2012 REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er 17" medium... mint condition! UPGRADES | eBay
    Last edited by Kbman; 10-12-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Cow Clicker
    That trail has almost no elevation change. The weight penalty and hassle of gears isn't worth it. I used to live in Orlando. Nothing a SS can't handle. That Monocog has a lot of upgrades. The SSs I linked are good, inexpensive platforms to build on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I seem to be susceptible to bad vibrations and since there is no suspension on the fork, would that possible be a problem, or something I could easily fix by simply buying my own sometime later? I do like this bike. It has $300~ of upgrades and he said he would take $650 which seems reasonable...
    2012 REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er 17" medium... mint condition! UPGRADES | eBay
    But since I am not very familiar with bikes, I don't know if I am getting ripped on this deal or not...

Surly 1x1 Singlespeed Reviews
    This also seems to have good reviews, but since I don't have much experience and am not familiar with how much a AM build would cost. I don't know if I am willing to do it for the $450 frame cost...

Cow Clicker
    I personally wouldn't fool with an eBay bike. No warranty, you don't know anything about it. It's in KY. I'd go with the Gravity 29 SS. Reach out to this guy and see what he says: Just pulled the trigger on a Gravity 29er SS (and a rant about Nashbar)

Cow Clicker
    Forgot, my buddy is selling an Ally: FS: Haro Ally Single Speed 29er

Stand up guy, nice bike. Needs the cash for medical bills. I considered buying it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Buying a Craigslist bike, u only have the initial inspection to see if anything wrong.

Ebay, the seller is responsible to their description, if there is something wrong, you have more time to find it and file a snad.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am going for the Ebay Redline Monocog. It has less than 200 miles on it and a bunch of goodies. I was told by a few people that it was definitely worth it and if I didn't enjoy it I should have little to no problems reselling it and could replace the fork with a non rigid on that has suspension if I find I don't enjoy the rigid ride.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbman View Post
    I am going for the Ebay Redline Monocog. It has less than 200 miles on it and a bunch of goodies. I was told by a few people that it was definitely worth it and if I didn't enjoy it I should have little to no problems reselling it and could replace the fork with a non rigid on that has suspension if I find I don't enjoy the rigid ride.
    Good choice! Great bike - you'll love it! If you do go with a shock, get a lightweight one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Good choice! Great bike - you'll love it! If you do go with a shock, get a lightweight one.
    Yeah definitely. I was looking at the Rock Shox XC 32 TK 2012 fork, but it wouldn't be til later anyways...

Cow Clicker
    Yeah definitely. I was looking at the Rock Shox XC 32 TK 2012 fork, but it wouldn't be til later anyways...
    That's a 5 lb fork - you can do better.

Cow Clicker
    Hey man, I thought that was the Monocog Flight. I think it's a regular Monocog. REDLINE BICYCLES › MTB › 2013 MONOCOG 29ER

I'd let him sweat it out if you haven't done anything yet. Or just go with the Gravity SS 29er. I really don't think the Redline is worth the extra $200. First Impression: Gravity G29 singlespeed | Dirt Rag Magazine

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The one from Ebay is a 2012 monocog flight 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im looking for my first proper MTB too

Cow Clicker
    The one from Ebay is a 2012 monocog flight 29er.
    Okay, then that's a good deal. I must have misread it. Carry on

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley.bc View Post
    Im looking for my first proper MTB too
    Riley, Go here: Noob Buyer's Guide read everything, start a new thread with answers to all the questions so we can help you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good luck , I'll be buying my first one this week 2010 xc fsr

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    And the bike sold. Ofcourse... Right when I asked him to hold it for a day or so and it sold. Dammit. I guess it's for the best?

Found this nice cannondale 29er with 1x9 gears
    Cannondale SL3 29er | eBay

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Okay so I might just have to get the 2013 monocog 29er. Oh well :/ I will update you on if I get the cannondale from Ebay.

Cow Clicker
    The Flight was a 17inch and the Cannondale is a 19 inch. Do you know what size you need? How tall are you and what is your inseam with shoes from floor to groin?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Flight was a 17inch and the Cannondale is a 19 inch. Do you know what size you need? How tall are you and what is your inseam with shoes from floor to groin?
    The road bike I use is a 51cm frame and fits me perfectly. I'm about 5'7", but I will find out the other measurement soon.

Cow Clicker
    Do not buy that Cannondale - I'm 6-0 and ride a 19" bike. At 5-7, depending on the frame, you should be looking at 15-17" bikes.

This is a really good bike for $350: Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

You could take the extra money and buy some lighter tires, seat, bars, pedals and extra cogs and rings for different trails. You can even throw a really expensive Fox fork on it if you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just went to a bike shop. I fit on a 15.5" frame of a specialized hardrock sport 29er. It's $680 and comes with 3 tunes ups worth $60 each and tubes are guaranteed for a year or replaced. And price match guaranteed for 30 days you get money back and 10% of the total bike price.

Cow Clicker
    "I have between $400 and $600 to spend"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    "I have between $400 and $600 to spend"
    Yep, that was my budget until my mom offered to lend me some money and I could pay her back Do you think the Hardrock is a good choice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Cow Clicker
    I think borrowing money to buy a bike is a bad idea, especially from your mom. And especially if there is a bike that will suit your needs just fine for $350. I've given my advice. If you want something else, go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think borrowing money to buy a bike is a bad idea, especially from your mom. And especially if there is a bike that will suit your needs just fine for $350. I've given my advice. If you want something else, go for it.
    I've got $600, she said it was fine and she would take it out of my paycheck. It's all good with me and yeah I understand. Anyways I think this is the bike I am going to go for. I appreciate everyones advice! I'll post pics when I get it. Unless anyone wants to give more ideas before I buy it in a few days. Thanks again wmac, I appreciate everything

Cow Clicker

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey Kbman I'd go with the GT. I have 3 2 agresors and an old 90's backwoods. Gt is the only thing I ride. I have one Agressor set up for trail riding with 26'' wheels and 100-130mm adjustable forks. I prefer 26" on tight windy and technical stuff, it just eats up single track. My other agressor is set up with 28" and 120mm w/lock out. Great city and CX bike, but can hang on the singletrack. Personaly I would tell you to stay away from a single speed as a begginer. Having a wide range of gears will help you when time to climb. I ride 8speeds, but I've been at it for a bit. Another way to go about a bike is to put one together yourself, but as a beginner I'd find some thing on the cheaper end, and invest into a descent wheelset and light weight fork. RockShock Recon Silver is a great fork on the cheap. Having a well balanced bike well greatly improve all aspex of the ridability. Alot of lower-mid range bikes are realy nose heavy do to low end SR,RST,Rock Shoks Judy's. As far as Wheel size go, I went on a ride the other day on my 26er, and kept wackn my pedals on obsticles that my 28er would clear no prob, but some of the turns/switch backs were so tight. I would have had to slow way down on the 28er to get them wheels around the corner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That Airborn is a good choice, The parts arnt that shaby at all, but I'd ditch them forks asap, I had the same set, there ok for a beginner, but they are very limited. Heavy and not that adjustable. But the cool thing about SR lockout is you can fully compres the fork and hit the lock out and it will stay there, unlike every thing else automaticly adjust to the top of the travel

Cow Clicker
    Skrufryder: he's in Florida and the trail he will be riding has an elevation change of about five feet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Hey Kbman I'd go with the GT. I have 3 2 agresors and an old 90's backwoods. Gt is the only thing I ride. I have one Agressor set up for trail riding with 26'' wheels and 100-130mm adjustable forks. I prefer 26" on tight windy and technical stuff, it just eats up single track. My other agressor is set up with 28" and 120mm w/lock out. Great city and CX bike, but can hang on the singletrack. Personaly I would tell you to stay away from a single speed as a begginer. Having a wide range of gears will help you when time to climb. I ride 8speeds, but I've been at it for a bit. Another way to go about a bike is to put one together yourself, but as a beginner I'd find some thing on the cheaper end, and invest into a descent wheelset and light weight fork. RockShock Recon Silver is a great fork on the cheap. Having a well balanced bike well greatly improve all aspex of the ridability. Alot of lower-mid range bikes are realy nose heavy do to low end SR,RST,Rock Shoks Judy's. As far as Wheel size go, I went on a ride the other day on my 26er, and kept wackn my pedals on obsticles that my 28er would clear no prob, but some of the turns/switch backs were so tight. I would have had to slow way down on the 28er to get them wheels around the corner.
    I do like the GT series of bikes they have to offer. I would probably go 29er and upgrade the forks/wheels when need be. But it's definitely a tough choice. I've spent the last few days doing nothing but looking at bikes, but it seems thay when it comes down to it, it becomes a personal preference at the price range and upgrading from there. I know some companies have their benefits, but I think that for me, it will come down to best warranty and company satisfaction they can provide. It's down to GT, Airborne or Specialized.

Skrufryder: he's in Florida and the trail he will be riding has an elevation change of about five feet.
    And this ^^

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dont care where he lives or how high the elevation change is

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Specialized make great bikes to, I've had a couple Rockhoppers, if you go with a specialized go with the Rockhopper, its got the better parts your gona want a year down the road anyways, The Hardrock frame is a good frame to build off tho. My buddy is at that point with his Hardrock, he hasnt had it a year yet. His main complaint is the low end wheelset, and it being front heavy, but we are gona fix that for him. You can always upgrade as you go, and you might be better off that way. Or keep it stock and ride the crap out of it, and find out what you like and build your secound bike from the frame up

Cow Clicker
    I dont care where he lives or how high the elevation change is
    So, having "a wide range of gears when it comes time to climb," is important when there is no elevation change?

BTW, where'd you get your 28" wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Its not the elevation change that is important it isangle or grade of the hill/incline

Cow Clicker
    Its not the elevation change that is important it isangle or grade of the hill/incline
    You're joking, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    YeAH YOUR RIGHT A SINGLE SPEED IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR A BEGIINER YOU **** HEAD JUST GET A BMX BIKE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dont think I have ever been to a mtn bike course that only has a 5ft elevation change. And its the Angle that matters. I climb over 100 ft every dayon the way and never need to chane gears becuse the grade is slight and gradual. I ride trails that dumb you in a ravine and the climb out is only 8ft but damn near 45 degrees, so being able to drop way down will allow to get out. Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 10-15-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: sanitized

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't this is really appropriate talk for this forum. None of us are children here so let's talk like adults...

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

sanitizing

I dont think I have ever been to a mtn bike course that only has a 5ft elevation change. And its the Angle that matters. I climb over 100 ft every dayon the way and never need to chane gears becuse the grade is slight and gradual. I ride trails that dumb you in a ravine and the climb out is only 8ft but damn near 45 degrees, so being able to drop way down will allow to get out. Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller
    The internet is awesome!!

Sup
    I usually post drunk but you are winning
    WOW

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Cow Clicker
    I dont think I have ever been to a mtn bike course that only has a 5ft elevation change. And its the Angle that matters. I climb over 100 ft every dayon the way and never need to chane gears becuse the grade is slight and gradual. I ride trails that dumb you in a ravine and the climb out is only 8ft but damn near 45 degrees, so being able to drop way down will allow to get out. Stupid ass Jack Daniel drinking sister ****ing idiot
    Have you ever been to Florida? Did you watch the video of the trail the OP will be riding? Have you ever ridden a SS?

I read a lot of your past posts and judging from your wildly erratic, emotional, childish, temper tantrum, I'm going to assume you're either mentally unstable or on drugs.

Oh, and you never did tell me where you got your 28" wheels from.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    /\ This!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    700cx42c /28" 700x45c-65c/29" 29r is just a 45-65mm
    700x23-32 is referd to as just 700c
    700x35-42 is referd to as 28
    700x45-65 is referd to as 29r

a 700c rim is 622mm oddly a 27"English is 633mm. what is also kinda funny is the 650a and b 540mm and 590mm and those are referd to as 24 and 26, but in the states we designate 541 as 24, and label 559mm as our 26, but in the wheel chair buisness the 540 is referd to as 25inch

I would have just listed my wheels as 622x42mm, but would realy understad ISO measurment.
    Last edited by Skrufryder; 10-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well here's a sizing chart It differs from the Wheelchair manual at work, one or the other needs to updated. Sheldon browns site is mising some wheel chair size's, but he's dead anyways

Tire Sizing Systems

I refer to my wheels as 28 622mmx42c,so dose Schwalbe, I guess for now on I'll just refer to them as 29rs

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Okay I decided on the Guardian!

mtbr member
    YeAH YOUR RIGHT A SINGLE SPEED IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR A BEGIINER YOU **** HEAD JUST GET A BMX BIKE
    There is nothing wrong with a single speed bike for a beginner. It really depends on where you ride.

I started out on a single speed - did not have anything better - and it was quite fun riding around in the woods. No problem at all. It also had a coaster brake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a single speed bike for a beginner. It really depends on where you ride.

I started out on a single speed - did not have anything better - and it was quite fun riding around in the woods. No problem at all. It also had a coaster brake.
    thats old school, I guess back in the day thats all you guys had

Axe
    Custom User Title
    thats old school, I guess back in the day thats all you guys had
    Interestingly enough, a fresh article on bikerumor: Introducing the 2013 Transition Klunker - Bike Rumor

Single speed, coaster brakes, brand new 2013 model. Looks like fun.

How do I change that red square into a big red F U C K Y O U ?
    Do you mean somebody in particular, or just the world in general?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh yeah them dudes up in B-ham like to roll around town on there Klunkers.That makes sense. If you go out on a Friday night away from all the college stuff, nothing but klunkers and PBR. I remember Gary Fisher put one out awhile back.Desinged from his modified Schwinn frame I guess It had gears tho 5 I think and I think it had a lugged frame.

poser Administrator
    Stop. Timeouts will be handed out for any more flaming. Bannings will be handed out for any more profanity, excessive or otherwise.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well that was almost fun as fun as cutting the drive chains off of locked Fixies

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Okay so I am probably going to get the Airborne, but I also found this Trek 4900 in my area none the less for only $600. It looks practically new and with eggbeater pedals and a new seat. I am just wondering is it worth it? Or should I just go with the 29er?

Members who have read this thread: 0