Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking to buy my first bike :)

5K views 65 replies 15 participants last post by  Kbman 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking around for a new bike to get for myself. There aren't many trails around here, but I am really inspired to get a bike and ride it as much as possible. I've been looking mainly at Fujis, GTs, a few TREKs that my local bike shop has available, and lastly Diamond Backs. Here is a GT for $700 on craigslist
Gt Mountain Bike
The Fuji I like is the Nevada 1.7
And another debate I am having amongst myself is 29" wheels or 26". I don't have many climbs so I am guessing 26" is going to be a better choice...
Either way any help is appreciated. I have between $400 and $600 to spend. Thanks again :)

**EDIT**
Q: What region of the country do I live in?
A: South Eastern US/ South Florida

Q: Where do I plan to ride my new bike?
A: Markham park, northern florida (orlando area)

Q: Are there any YouTube videos of the trails I plan to ride?
A: Some yes... Here is a search result of the park > markham park mountain biking - YouTube

Q: How much time do I plan on devoting to this hobby?
A: A few days a week. (I already have a road bike that I enjoy riding, I would just like to get into mountain biking)

Q: What is my previous cycling experience?
A: Road biking for a year

Q: Have I participated in other hobbies, sports or activities that may give me relevant skills?
A: Skateboarding

Q: What are my mechanical abilities?
A: I am familiar with some things on a bike, but a few of my friends are much better than I.

Q: Do I currently own a bike?
A: Yes a road bike.

Q: Do I currently own a helmet, gloves, padded shorts, proper shoes, Cyclocomputer, Finish line bike wash, Finishline brush kit, shop rags, chain lube, chain stay protector (I like Shelter), Gloves, good socks, solid tire pressure gauge, floor tire pump, on trail tire pump or cartridges, shock pump, good three way hex, mufti tool, spare bottles, cages, backpack to put all your gear in?
A: Not everything there, but most of it.

Q: Why do I want to buy a new bike?
A: Beacause I do not own a mountain bike.

Q:How much research have I already done and do I have an idea of what I want?
A: A week or so of research, but not much of an idea...

Q: Do I have friends who are into the hobby? What's their mechanical and riding experience?
A: My uncle and my Grandfather both ride and have been riding for years. Somewhat of a mechanical experience. Also some BMX friends who are familiar with bike mechanics.

Q: What kind of bikes do my riding buddies ride?
A: Specialized, Giant and some others I can not name...

Q: What kind of bikes do I see on the trails I plan to ride? (Full suspension, hardtail, rigid, single speed, geared)
A: Hardtail bikes

Q: Can I really afford this hobby? Are my credit cards paid off? Do I have savings in the bank and money to burn?
A: I can afford up to around $600 of stuff for now, and will put more into it as the money comes in

Q: How much money do I want to spend on this hobby over the next year?
A: $1000 possibly...

Q: What am I trying to accomplish by participating in this hobby?
A: Get more into shape, have fun with friends and family and a good time in general.

Q: How do I expect my life to be different a year from the day my new bike arrives?
A: More into shape and alot better at MTBing :)

See less See more
#8 ·
I bought my first bike last month and it was driving me nuts. One of the LBS here has a service that I like, they have you meet the seller at their shop. They check it all out in front of both parties, give prices for repairs and let you work everything out. They don't make purchase or price recommendations. I also liked the idea because most sellers wouldn't have the balls to bring a stolen bike to a dealer to get checked out.
I ended up wussing out and buying a new bike though. There are some pretty awesome deals out there right now since the season is slowing down and the new models are coming out.

#10 ·
Scott Scale Team. It was over my budget, but with REI's stellar return policy I figured I could just take it back if I hated it. I don't see any way that I'm bringing it back though.
The used bike that I leaned toward the most was a Redline D460. It's basically a geared version of the Monocoq. I also really liked the Surly Karate Monkey.

#14 ·
That trail has almost no elevation change. The weight penalty and hassle of gears isn't worth it. I used to live in Orlando. Nothing a SS can't handle. That Monocog has a lot of upgrades. The SSs I linked are good, inexpensive platforms to build on.

#15 ·
I seem to be susceptible to bad vibrations and since there is no suspension on the fork, would that possible be a problem, or something I could easily fix by simply buying my own sometime later? I do like this bike. It has $300~ of upgrades and he said he would take $650 which seems reasonable...
2012 REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er 17" medium... mint condition! UPGRADES | eBay
But since I am not very familiar with bikes, I don't know if I am getting ripped on this deal or not...

Surly 1x1 Singlespeed Reviews
This also seems to have good reviews, but since I don't have much experience and am not familiar with how much a AM build would cost. I don't know if I am willing to do it for the $450 frame cost...

#19 ·
I am going for the Ebay Redline Monocog. It has less than 200 miles on it and a bunch of goodies. I was told by a few people that it was definitely worth it and if I didn't enjoy it I should have little to no problems reselling it and could replace the fork with a non rigid on that has suspension if I find I don't enjoy the rigid ride.

#23 ·
#33 ·
#34 ·
Just went to a bike shop. I fit on a 15.5" frame of a specialized hardrock sport 29er. It's $680 and comes with 3 tunes ups worth $60 each and tubes are guaranteed for a year or replaced. And price match guaranteed for 30 days you get money back and 10% of the total bike price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.