1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dont think I have ever been to a mtn bike course that only has a 5ft elevation change. And its the Angle that matters. I climb over 100 ft every dayon the way and never need to chane gears becuse the grade is slight and gradual. I ride trails that dumb you in a ravine and the climb out is only 8ft but damn near 45 degrees, so being able to drop way down will allow to get out. Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 10-15-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: sanitized

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't this is really appropriate talk for this forum. None of us are children here so let's talk like adults...

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

sanitizing

Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    I dont think I have ever been to a mtn bike course that only has a 5ft elevation change. And its the Angle that matters. I climb over 100 ft every dayon the way and never need to chane gears becuse the grade is slight and gradual. I ride trails that dumb you in a ravine and the climb out is only 8ft but damn near 45 degrees, so being able to drop way down will allow to get out. Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller
    The internet is awesome!!

Sup
    I usually post drunk but you are winning
    WOW

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Cow Clicker
    I dont think I have ever been to a mtn bike course that only has a 5ft elevation change. And its the Angle that matters. I climb over 100 ft every dayon the way and never need to chane gears becuse the grade is slight and gradual. I ride trails that dumb you in a ravine and the climb out is only 8ft but damn near 45 degrees, so being able to drop way down will allow to get out. Stupid ass Jack Daniel drinking sister ****ing idiot
    Have you ever been to Florida? Did you watch the video of the trail the OP will be riding? Have you ever ridden a SS?

I read a lot of your past posts and judging from your wildly erratic, emotional, childish, temper tantrum, I'm going to assume you're either mentally unstable or on drugs.

Oh, and you never did tell me where you got your 28" wheels from.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    /\ This!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    700cx42c /28" 700x45c-65c/29" 29r is just a 45-65mm
    700x23-32 is referd to as just 700c
    700x35-42 is referd to as 28
    700x45-65 is referd to as 29r

a 700c rim is 622mm oddly a 27"English is 633mm. what is also kinda funny is the 650a and b 540mm and 590mm and those are referd to as 24 and 26, but in the states we designate 541 as 24, and label 559mm as our 26, but in the wheel chair buisness the 540 is referd to as 25inch

I would have just listed my wheels as 622x42mm, but would realy understad ISO measurment.
    Last edited by Skrufryder; 10-15-2012 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well here's a sizing chart It differs from the Wheelchair manual at work, one or the other needs to updated. Sheldon browns site is mising some wheel chair size's, but he's dead anyways

Tire Sizing Systems

I refer to my wheels as 28 622mmx42c,so dose Schwalbe, I guess for now on I'll just refer to them as 29rs

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Okay I decided on the Guardian!

mtbr member
    YeAH YOUR RIGHT A SINGLE SPEED IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR A BEGIINER YOU **** HEAD JUST GET A BMX BIKE
    There is nothing wrong with a single speed bike for a beginner. It really depends on where you ride.

I started out on a single speed - did not have anything better - and it was quite fun riding around in the woods. No problem at all. It also had a coaster brake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a single speed bike for a beginner. It really depends on where you ride.

I started out on a single speed - did not have anything better - and it was quite fun riding around in the woods. No problem at all. It also had a coaster brake.
    thats old school, I guess back in the day thats all you guys had

Axe
    Custom User Title
    thats old school, I guess back in the day thats all you guys had
    Interestingly enough, a fresh article on bikerumor: Introducing the 2013 Transition Klunker - Bike Rumor

Single speed, coaster brakes, brand new 2013 model. Looks like fun.

How do I change that red square into a big red F U C K Y O U ?
    Do you mean somebody in particular, or just the world in general?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh yeah them dudes up in B-ham like to roll around town on there Klunkers.That makes sense. If you go out on a Friday night away from all the college stuff, nothing but klunkers and PBR. I remember Gary Fisher put one out awhile back.Desinged from his modified Schwinn frame I guess It had gears tho 5 I think and I think it had a lugged frame.

workin' it Administrator
    Stop. Timeouts will be handed out for any more flaming. Bannings will be handed out for any more profanity, excessive or otherwise.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well that was almost fun as fun as cutting the drive chains off of locked Fixies

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Okay so I am probably going to get the Airborne, but I also found this Trek 4900 in my area none the less for only $600. It looks practically new and with eggbeater pedals and a new seat. I am just wondering is it worth it? Or should I just go with the 29er?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3