1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Looking for the best 2000-3000$ allmtb!

Hi,
    I started mtb this year. I'm saving for a all moutain bike. My budget is around 2000-3000$. I'm 6'4'', 230 pounds. I want to be able to do some drops, jumps and little DH. Any suggestions??

mtbr member
    Get a Santa Cruz nomad alloy. I think you can get one with low spec'd stuff for Under $3k and then you can upgrade components as you wear/break them. Better to start with a nice frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok that was exaclty my plan! Star with a good frame and later, upgrade to my liking! Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what's the difference between an horizontal rear shock and a vertical one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welric View Post
    Not a lot. I don't think it makes difference to how well the shock itself works. Just different ways manufacturers make their frames.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Ill sell you my Trek Marlin for $3k...
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Another good option for the money is the ibis mojo special blend. The whole bike cost about 600 more than just the frame

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Welric View Post
    One is mounted horizontally and the other is mounted vertically.

banned
    Sep 2012
    You could build up your own bike by getting stuff through, ebay, Amazon, and other online retailers and get everything to fit in your budget. I went this way putting together my 07 S-Works SJ and ended up with a $6500ish bike (new in 07) for under $2k which was a mix of a used frame and mostly new parts. I felt it was OK for me since I expect to beat up the bike a ton with my daily trail rides and going with the used frame kept my budget in check.

This way, I got to pick what parts went into the bike and basically get it to what I felt was "best" for what I want to accomplish with MTB'ing (i.e. AM).

[shameless plug]
    I have a couple of 2011 Titus X Carbon frames to sell - cheap! Wife says I have too much bike parts and stuff in the house, and I had to get rid of them. PM if interested.
    [/shameless plug]

-S

T.W.O.
    I'd go with giant reign or Titus el guapo. Both are just kick a$$ bikes.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

T.W.O.
    Oops double post.
    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +1 on a Nomad. You wont regret getting that bike. I love mine and thinking of getting another.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Not sure if I wan to build my own! But I'm really looking into the nomad. Reviews seems good about it! Thanks for the anwsers on the shock I was just wondering if it made any difference!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh I didn't mention I need a bike that will be fun too for xc!

mtbr member
    check out the VPPS on santa cruz website, not so long ago they had an XL nomad frame for $1000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    check out the VPPS on santa cruz website, not so long ago they had an XL nomad frame for $1000
    Yeah I forgot that Santa Cruz does clearence sales on their site. I have seen some nice bikes go for cheap. Also check out Colorado cyclists or competitive cyclists they sometimes have great sales on Santa Cruz. I bought my tallboy from Colorado cyclists they rock