1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Looking at 3 new bikes for myself....which one should I get??????

I posted this in the 29er section and didn't get much of a response so I will try it in this forum. I'm looking at 3 different bike they are, the Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29, Norco Charger 9.1 and Giant Talon 29er 0. I would like to deal with a lbs. I am currently riding a Giant Boulder SE. My budget is in the $1000.00. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 250lbs. I usually ride a mix of roads and trails. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'd personally choose the giant. But thats because of the components. They will all do a good job. That being said, You should go to the LBS and try them all and choose which ever you like best.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6