Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for a 29er in the $700-$950 range. So many options I can't narrow it down...

1K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  TheAtomicGoose 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm a relative beginner (This bike that I'm looking for would be my second serious mountain bike). I'm thinking I would probably want a 29er unless there's a reason I should really get a different size. I'm about 5'2" and 110 lbs, but will definitely be growing a lot. Also, if I'm going to get a good amount bigger, should I wait to invest in a nice bike until I'm full grown? It could be like 4 years. Anyway...good 29ers. Yeah. I'm looking for 'em.

Thanks!

#5 ·
You might consider cannibalizing it to build a new frame. Bike frames are not that expensive if you don't want them to be, and while you'll likely bump into some incompatibilities, as long as you're staying in the same class, those shouldn't be too bad either.

Another thing to think about is a "rolling chassis." It's not a terribly common offering, but I think On-One does it. It would be a frame, fork and wheels, and let you leverage the parts you already have to step up to a little nicer bike. Probably not as economical as just buying a complete 29er used, but something to think about.

Since you have a bike and it's too small, you can also use it to help you pick a catalog bike. How long a stem do you have?

#6 ·
Well, my problem is that I don't want to pour resources into a frame that is almost too small on me already, only to buy a new frame and find that the parts don't fit it. Also, my technical bike know-how is quite limited, and my frame is not particularly nice. I'm not sure how long my stem is...could you point me in the direction of my stem (sorry, that's probably a very novice question, but what can you do...)? Also, what's a catalogue bike? A bike that you buy out of a catalogue?
--Edit--
Also, I came across the Airborne Seeker and Guardian...how are those? They seemed well specced and reasonably priced: Airborne Bicycles. Cross Country 29"

#8 ·
If I was to buy an Airborne bike and not really know how to put it together, would it be lame to bring it to a local bike shop and pay them to do it for me? Like would that be too much like hey, I didn't wanna buy from you but I don't know how to do this? Also, the $75 shipping is sorta offputting.

#11 ·
Don't spend any money yet...

The stem is the component that connects the handlebars to the steer tube. They come in a wide range of lengths to accommodate different riders and styles. There are some other specs that can change too, but they're not as important.

If the cockpit of a bike is too small, a longer stem can make it bigger. Eventually that ruins the bike's handling, but if your stem isn't that long, you can probably go longer. You might even see an improvement.

I don't know how you're built, but at 5'8", 'M' bikes are largish for me. I think you should take a little time to understand your bike's fit before you throw hundreds of dollars around.

#12 ·
Thank you, and don't worry, I'm not planning to go buy a size of bike that I've never ridden. I was planning to get somewhere in the region of a 15-16" frame...I'm not sure how that stacks up with a medium, but it seems to be the next size up. I realize this isn't exactly scientific, but up until this point my rule of thumb has been "If the seat doesn't go any higher and I need it higher, it's time for a new bike." Admittedly, my previous bikes have been nowhere near as expensive as what I'm looking at now. My current bike cost about $350 and both of the derailleurs (not sure I spelled that right) are somewhat screwed up...the front one takes forever to shift into 1st gear, and the back one can't shift into 7th gear without jumping the cassette. As I said, I'm a little nervous about trying to upgrade a bike that wasn't exactly super high quality to begin with. It's a Trek Singletrack 820. My stem is 1 1/2", if that seems right...I'm still not totally clear where the stem starts and where it ends, but I'm pretty sure that's the right length. Thanks everyone for spending so much time answering my questions!

#13 ·
Well, maybe just get a new bike. One of the patterns people sometimes get into is buying a $700 bike, riding it and doing no maintenance for two years, then buying an $800 and repeating, etc. At the end of it all, they've paid for about five bikes but only have one and it still doesn't work.

Most sizing systems would equate a 13" and "extra small." So a small would be a step up, and correspond with the numeric sizes you mentioned.

$950 is kind of a bummer pricepoint at retail. But shops are clearancing their '13 bikes right now. Ride a bunch of bikes, check out a few sizes, and see where you're at.

#14 ·
Yeah. Doesn't seem like a good pattern to get into...I should probably learn how to maintain bikes better than I do now. However, my long-term plan is to not keep putting lots of upgrades/money into a single bike until I'm fully grown, just because it seems like I'll basically be burning money till the next bike. But, your point about the new bike pattern is a good one. And what do you mean by $950 being a bummer pricepoint?

#17 ·
My area has a group of Trek stores under one name. They are discounting at 25%. But just before labor day they had a 35% off sale which you could still now negotiate for if you knew about it. That gives you a range ... Look for a sales person you can connect with and work a deal. My guy also mentioned reduced 2014 prices start in 2 months.

When you go to shops ride small and medium 29ers for fit info.

#19 ·
You can ask about past and upcoming discount times. Another Spec shop does a discount weekend they send you the info on if you sign up for email alerts. Fish around and give an air of patience--you're willing to wait for a good deal and you want to buy from him. if you can find out the most discount they will offer tell him you are ready to purchase at that price now or whenever he can give it to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.