1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Lookin for a new bike, but which one???

I currently have a old, rigid specialized rockhopper that i am looking to upgrade from. I have a budget of about 1-2 grand but am trying to be more conservative on price. Full suspension would be nice. Any brand is good. I would be doing some minor downhill, some xc racing, some singletrack. Even a great model that i could get used on pinkbikes or something would be fantasticAny suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ridin' Furry
    Looks like you should look into AM full suspension bikes. Browse the All Mountain forum, i am sure you will find a ton of info.

Just my 2 cents on being conservative though... you will get a lot better components with a Hardtail then a full suspension in that price range.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by halld15 View Post
    I currently have a old, rigid specialized rockhopper that i am looking to upgrade from. I have a budget of about 1-2 grand but am trying to be more conservative on price. Full suspension would be nice. Any brand is good. I would be doing some minor downhill, some xc racing, some singletrack. Even a great model that i could get used on pinkbikes or something would be fantasticAny suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    When you say "some minor downhill," do you mean that the trails you ride happen to have descents? Or do you mean lift-served? Bikes for shuttle DH are as opposite XC race rigs as it's possible for two bikes to be and both be mountain bikes. How often would you actually be shuttling DH trails? For a lot of people who do the occasional lift-served day, just renting a bike works fine...

New, $2000 gets you a nice hardtail. A couple seasons old, it gets you a nice FS bike too. Since they're a lot more complicated, I'd be hesitant to buy a used FS, but plenty of people do and I think it works out okay most of the time. It's just a matter of your willingness to risk being the exception.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If your willing to go to the top of your budget, you'll be able to get yourself into a great entry level full sus bike. At that price point you typically are getting the same frame used on bikes which cost 2-3x in price...but a lower component package. Components can easily be upgraded later down the road. I usually wait till they brake, then slowly replace them with higher end parts. Sounds to me that you should be looking for a trail bike. I haven't jumped on the 29er bandwagon yet so my experience is strictly with the 26 inch wheels. It's completely personal preference which wheel size is right for you.

For the 26ers, Something around 5 inches of travel is usually considered a trail bike. Capable of getting you up the long climbs, but still great for descending. Typically, once you start adding more travel, you will sacrifice its climbing ability. If your trails involve just as much climbing as descending...I'd seriously consider a 4-5 inch travel bike. If your trails Involve shuttling to the top or minimal climbing.... 6 inches of travel might be more fun on the downhills.