1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

look s-track clipless pedals?

im curious has anyone here using look s-track pedals. im interested in hearing your opinions on them.

thanks in advance,
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ordered a set when they first came out. They looked perfect. Good adjustment, good in and out. Very light.

When I first got them they were pretty good. Much better than the Shimano's or Candy's. However, if you ride rocky trails like in Tucson, they will eventually start chipping and cracking the plastic guide that makes the clip-in so good. Why they used plastic is beyond me. It got to the point where I couldn't clip-in because the cleat would catch on the cracked plastic guide. The design is good, they just didn't use the right materials for the job. I would say they are more of a XC/dirt road pedal.

I have Time ATAC Alium's now. They are heavier, but dang they really take a beating on the rocks and keep going. Just as good with clip-in and out.

mtbr member
    i gave up on SPD and have been rocking flats. i want to give the look s-track a shot. i picked up a pair of s-track off ebay for $80.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    i received my look s-track pedals today and i was pretty excited to install them on my bike. this was my last chance with clipless pedals. i hated SPD and these look s-track are even harder to get them in and out. the mtbr look s-track looked so easy:

Look S-Track Mountain Bike Pedal - YouTube

i installed the cleats on my shimano MD77 with the 1mm spacers and i cant seem to find the correct position of the pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails look s-track clipless pedals?-img_2604.jpg  

look s-track clipless pedals?-img_2607.jpg  

mtbr member
    Many ppl who get the Looks set up with the shims seem too like them. Although, actually setting up the shim seems to be the biggest complaint. Because of this, i went with Times as the other poster above suggested. No shim, good float, durable, and i don't even need a tensioning system since they are easy enough to enter and exit as is (lower models have no tensioning). Hope you can get them set up. Most ppl really like them once they do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have about 150 miles on them. So far, they've held up through mild singletracks and flat XC. To be fair, I have yet to do any serious mountain/terrain riding.

As far as shims go, I'm using only the "red" or the thinnest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What is the right shims you should use with carbon fiber soles? I am worried about pedal digging into sole in eggbeater style. Should you add some extra protection or is the 0.5mm shims enogh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arisaast View Post
    What is the right shims you should use with carbon fiber soles? I am worried about pedal digging into sole in eggbeater style. Should you add some extra protection or is the 0.5mm shims enogh?
    What shoe are you using? I use the Mavic Fury and the 2mm combined with the red 0.5mm shim work flawlessly. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i received my look s-track pedals today and i was pretty excited to install them on my bike. this was my last chance with clipless pedals. i hated SPD and these look s-track are even harder to get them in and out. the mtbr look s-track looked so easy:

Look S-Track Mountain Bike Pedal - YouTube

i installed the cleats on my shimano MD77 with the 1mm spacers and i cant seem to find the correct position of the pedals.
    Hello I want to know if u have some new comments on these s-track pedals thanks