1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

longer stem and 0 degree rise??

I want to be a little more stretched out when I ride, I kinda think I may have gotten a bike just a LIL too small (maybe an inch, nothing huge), so I am trying to figure out ways to make it feel longer. It seems as though a longer stem and zero degree rise would work, but are there some adverse consequences, like would i suffer badly on steering or control? I'm not sure about all the ramifications from a change like this so any input would be AWESOME, also any other ways (besides moving the seat all the way back) that I can be more stretched out??

Going for a ride......
    Check this out: I think it's meant for road bikes mainly but the seat height & overall reach came up spot on to how I've set up my bike & find it comfy!

Wrenchscience
    energetix

ride hard take risks
    What bike are you riding Yes you could go to a longer stem with good results.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i'm riding a 2006 kona blast it's a 16, OT, but i stinking LOVE it

ride hard take risks
    A 16 should be good up to about 5'5". You could go a little longer or check out a laid back seat post. Be carful on the post because it changes the hips on the bike so your crank rotation is different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    5'5??? shoot cause I am about 5'8, I do have a kind of short inseam though, prolly around 30.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    5'5??? shoot cause I am about 5'8, I do have a kind of short inseam though, prolly around 30.
    Thats probibly why the cockpit is tight, your all torso, longer stem

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    oh okay, that sounded right I was just worried because i wasn't sure what that would do to the rest of the bike's "feel", i really like everything else, also should i stick with the same rise, or get it down to zero, or a few degrees less??

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    oh okay, that sounded right I was just worried because i wasn't sure what that would do to the rest of the bike's "feel", i really like everything else, also should i stick with the same rise, or get it down to zero, or a few degrees less??
    If you are happy with all except the cramped quarters then stick to the sam rise.