1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Long seat post good idea?

OK I've searched and finally found a Kona Coiler that I wanted. I've ridden it a couple times and and upgraded some parts but now i realized that I need about two more inches to ride more comfortably. The current post is at it minimum insertion mark and am thinking about getting a (Thompson) 410mm post. Would the frame handle the stress? Or should I look for a medium (17") frame? I'm 5.9' 165 lbs and 15" frame.

Long seat post good idea?-uploadfromtaptalk1374639812620.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're looking for 2 more inches on top of what's showing in the pic, I'm going to say you should move to a larger frame.

I would also seriously consider a longer stem. If the type of riding you're doing is calling for a high seat position, you'll also benefit a lot from a more stretched out cockpit. If you could try out a 70/90 mm, I think you'll t like it.

mtbr member

Re: Long seat post good idea?

Yeah a longer stem is next on my list. Can I run a longer stem with triple crown (clamp?) forks?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SocalTeknique; 07-24-2013 at 09:06 PM.