1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Lock out??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Lock out??

When exactly should I be locking out my forks?

What could go wrong ...
    lockout is typically used when climbing steep terrain
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    To add on to the question:

I stumble upon a steep unexpected climb, I don't have enough time to lockout both fork and rear shock: which do I choose first?

-james
    [SIZE="1"]2000 Trek 6500 HT
    2008 Ibex Asta Comp X7 FS[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    rear

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods1986
    When exactly should I be locking out my forks?
    The only time that I use my fork lockout is when riding through deep sand. I've found that engaging the lockout dramatically increases steering control through the sand.

I know that hill climbing is commonly cited as an example of where you'd use fork lockout, but IMO, it has to be a long smooth climb with some out-of-the-saddle sections for it to be worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yimmy149
    I stumble upon a steep unexpected climb, I don't have enough time to lockout both fork and rear shock: which do I choose first?
    Neither. IMO, it's best to have an active suspension on steep rocky climbs.

mtbr member
    I don't like using my lock out. I have a harder time climbing with it on. For short steep climbs, if you have a lockout option on your rear shock, it's probably not worth fiddling with it as the climb is fairly short. Just hammer it out. On a longer climb, set the stiffer setting for the rear shock and go for it.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just use the lockout when riding on paved roads.

mtbr member
    I also only use the lockout option on road anything else is off.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    I just use the lockout when riding on paved roads.
    me three.

And don't forget to tweak your fork (rebound, preload, etc...) to tune it to terrain and preference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IRussell
    And don't forget to tweak your fork (rebound, preload, etc...) to tune it to terrain and preference.
    I am still trying to figure that out. I know how, just not sure what setting is good for specific terrain.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    The only time that I use my fork lockout is when riding through deep sand. I've found that engaging the lockout dramatically increases steering control through the sand.

I know that hill climbing is commonly cited as an example of where you'd use fork lockout, but IMO, it has to be a long smooth climb with some out-of-the-saddle sections for it to be worthwhile.
    Ditto.

Don't focus so much on using all the bells and whistles on your gear. Focus on solid riding techniques and picking choice lines.