1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

little advice on purchase of a 1999 GT XCR 3000

Question is, should I buy a bike this old. I really like the look and feel of the bike. BUT, I am concerned about parts for a bike almost 15 years old. Would love to buy the bike and spend the cash I would save versus buying new, to fix it up. Should I just get something newer that parts would be easily available for? I really have no idea about all this I new to it all. Thanks

mtbr member
    If you like to work on it, I would certainly look into it. Parts availability is not a particular issue as some are easily changed within modern equivalents instead of exact replacements. It really does come down to feel in the end, that's why I like my 1993 Giants.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depends. 1999 is only old in dog and mountain bike years. If you're fine with maintaining it pretty much period, it'll be easy. If you develop a need to update this thing and that thing about it, you're going to open up a can of worms.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx