1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tubby
    Apr 2013

... and if we just ... Let myself get overweight getting back into biking looking at Giant Warp DS2 used..

*After writing these I will say sorry for the very long post lol

Well When I was in my teens (I'm 27 now) I loved Mountain biking I would spend all day out on the trails with my camel bak and just enjoying the outdoors and staying healthy.

When I was young I was really really Overweight and I took up Mountain biking to Loose the weight and get in shape which led into my love for Mountain biking.

Once I got my drivers license and started "Chasing Tail" I kinda stopped biking and eventually sold my bike. Now I didn't have a very good bike but it was Full Suspension and I loved it. Don't laugh ( I was young and didn't have much money) but it was a Pacific brand bike like one that you would buy at a regular store. It was not well built at all so I started upgrading it and tinkering with it I bought a new fork for it and bought a used fox rear shock and it worked for me.

Sooo Years later and I have Gained most of my weight back.. I'm 5'7" 27yrs old and I weigh 208 lbs. For the past 3 years I have been just sitting in my house. The extent of my execise has been walking downstairs to go to the bathroom. I got into a car wreck 3 years ago which I lost my drivers license from which is when I started becoming very Un-active and staying indoors and really depressed.

I have been looking for a way to get back into shape and get my Motivation, Strength and energy back and I really think getting back into Mountain biking is the answer I am looking for. I really miss riding in the trails and enjoying the outdoors and having fun on a bike.

So I'm an looking to buy another bike and get back into things..

I found a Used but barely ridden Giant Warp GS2 for $300 for sale in my area which I'm going to look at tomarrow and possibly put some money down on. I don't have much cash since I am not currently working so I can't afford a new bike without having to buy a wal-mart bike which I know I will regret. And I REALLY like Full suspension Bikes. I grew up also Riding Dirtbikes and Atv's SO a Full Suspension bike just "Fits" me better.

So does anyone own one of these bikes? Or know anything about them?

As I get myself into better health and back into things I want to make sure the bike is upgradeable and doesn't have any wierd size parts or anything that I will have a hard time upgrading.

Like I most likely will eventually replace "Atleast" the rear shock and probably the front. I'm not sure what kind of hardware is on it as far as derailers and stuff but I imagine I might have to upgrade those down the line aswell if they are really cheap. Also I have not seen the bike in person yet so I don't know if it has disc brakes or not but WHen I was into biking only the very top end bikes had them so I never had the luxury or using them.

Anyways Sorry for my Wall of text here but I am really excited to get back into Mountain biking and finally getting healthy again.

This is the bike I am thinking about getting.

Thanks.
    Last edited by backwoodz; 04-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    Wow Just looked through the thread of people that got there bikes for under $400 and I can't believe how nice some of those bikes are that they got for that price.. I'm starting to wonder if this Giant Warp GS2 is worth $300...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm in the same boat except I'm about 40 and used to ride heavily in my early 20s. I just picked up a 2005 Jamis Exile hardtail that needed a little tlc. Luckily I have a co-worker who moonlights in a bike shop and he has been throwing me extra schwag parts. Customer doesn't like the new tires he bought a week ago? Hey, MrMentallo, I got something for you. Jesus, you are using nuts and bolts for your seat clamp? I got your back.

I work on my feet and am constantly moving all day long so leg strength isn't an issue, but my cardio is a big one. I weigh about the same as OP. Anyone have any strategies to get my lungs back that aren't "pedal until you are tired and then go some more?" I live in a warm climate so riding 3-4 times a week is feasible.

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    Dang I dunno what to do lol I wish some folks would read this thread.. I'v been searching and reading all day trying to figure out if I should buy that bike or if there is something better I can get for that price..

Looking around most people say Don't bother buying a full suspension bike for under$400 as there mostly junk but I don't have more money and I really do not like hard tails..

hmm argh.. I'm supposed to look at the bike tomarrow .. well today now since its after 12 and I need to make a decision.

mtbr member
    I turned my life around 3+ years ago and lost close to 80 lbs. I hate to tell you but it's not about the bike. It's about the food. Actually it's about calories in vs. calories out. You have to do a ton of biking/exercise to make a dent, you really have to get your diet in check and accelerate/augment the weight loss with exercise.

Best of luck!

FWIW I ran almost 3,600 miles last year and haven't lost a single lbs. This year I rode 1,600+ miles so far and ran close to 400 miles. Again, no change in weight...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Google, this site and my bikeshop buddy says that is a good entry level bike. Not too good at anything in particular, but not bad at anything either. The best part is the frame my buddy says. You will break yourself before the frame goes. Components can be upgraded over time he said. The frame is worth putting reasonable amounts of money into especially if you do the wrench work yourself.

That being said, I would ride the thing first. Check the bearings in the headpost and bottom bracket. The suspension shouldn't squeak or make noise much at all. There shouldn't be any lateral movement on the bottom bracket either. All in all, if the bike doesn't feel right, walk away. If it does feel right, keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
    I turned my life around 3+ years ago and lost close to 80 lbs. I hate to tell you but it's not about the bike. It's about the food. Actually it's about calories in vs. calories out. You have to do a ton of biking/exercise to make a dent, you really have to get your diet in check and accelerate/augment the weight loss with exercise.

Best of luck!

FWIW I ran almost 3,600 miles last year and haven't lost a single lbs. This year I rode 1,600+ miles so far and ran close to 400 miles. Again, no change in weight...
    The food isn't an issue, I'm a chef who likes to eat reasonably healthy and balanced. My challenge is the lack of activity I have had the last few years due to a kid, crushing hours and depression due to a failing marriage. The kid is now at an age where she doesn't need constant supervision and I now have a job that is much easier on the hours. No more 12-16 hour days, six days a week. Holy crap, I have time and energy to exercise! I was looking more for riding routines that will keep me from over exerting myself while keeping up enough calorie burn to lose weight at a healthy pace. It's not the nutrition, it's the cardio training.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    The food isn't an issue, I'm a chef who likes to eat reasonably healthy and balanced. My challenge is the lack of activity I have had the last few years due to a kid, crushing hours and depression due to a failing marriage. The kid is now at an age where she doesn't need constant supervision and I now have a job that is much easier on the hours. No more 12-16 hour days, six days a week. Holy crap, I have time and energy to exercise! I was looking more for riding routines that will keep me from over exerting myself while keeping up enough calorie burn to lose weight at a healthy pace. It's not the nutrition, it's the cardio training.
    Whatever you say. I've heard it all... "Healthy" and "reasonably balanced" doesn't mean jack squat. It probably means you eat your veggies on occasion and your fat/carb/protein is at a decent ratio. So the issue is not with the quality, it's with the quantity.

A mile on a road bike burns about 35-40 calories. On a mountain bike it's about 45-80 calories depending on effort/elevation/terrain. to lose a single pound of fat you have to generate 3,500 calorie deficit. To lose a pound of body fat a week you need to generate a 500 calorie daily deficit. By the time you lose 40 lbs your basal metabolic rate will be 300 calories lower than it is today so when you get closer to your goal you have to eat about 800 calories less or work out 800 calories more every day compared to what you do today. That's riding 20+ miles every day on a road bike.

So if you want to solve this weight issue by simply exercising you're looking at a 40 week plan of 140 mile weeks. Uhm... Good luck with that straight from the couch! I'll see you on the injured list....

Tubby
    Apr 2013

Best of luck!

I have the diet part down I have lost 60lbs in the past I just got lazy and let myself gain it all back again. I've been eating very healthy (for the past week I just started dieting again), No fried foods, No soda, no sugary drinks, No sweets (if I get a sweet tooth I eat some greek yogurt with granola I'm addicted to that stuff) I don't eat frozen foods I try to eat things like brown rice and grilled chicken breast and vegtables. Rite now its a lack of exercise that is keeping me from loosing weight and keeping healthy. I pretty much do nothing but sit in a computer chair all day every day so I don't burn any calories.

And I know its not really about the bike but not only do I want to get back into mountain biking for the benifit of loosing weight but because I used to really enjoy it and I don't want to loose some weight and be like well this bike just is not cutting it for me anymore. I would like to make sure I get a bike that is decent enough to get some use out of

Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Google, this site and my bikeshop buddy says that is a good entry level bike. Not too good at anything in particular, but not bad at anything either. The best part is the frame my buddy says. You will break yourself before the frame goes. Components can be upgraded over time he said. The frame is worth putting reasonable amounts of money into especially if you do the wrench work yourself.

That being said, I would ride the thing first. Check the bearings in the headpost and bottom bracket. The suspension shouldn't squeak or make noise much at all. There shouldn't be any lateral movement on the bottom bracket either. All in all, if the bike doesn't feel right, walk away. If it does feel right, keep us updated.
    Well I am supposed to go look at the bike tomarrow so hopefully its in good shape I remember my old bike since it was a cheap bike the bearings in the crank got really bad really fast so I plan on checking all the moving parts for wiggle. I'm guessing I can eventually replace the forks and rear shock and I would love to have disc brakes since I never had them before and it seems like such a common thing on bikes these days I should be able to get some relatively cheap down the road

Quiet Professional
    Back on topic for the bike. It is a 2004 Giant DS2. Brand new it was 550.00. 300.00 is overpriced for this bike. To put it in perspective, a 2004 Giant AC 2 brand new was sold new for 2300.00 and now sells for around 500.00. I think if the bike is in great condition it is a 150.00 bike, but that is if everything was serviced correctly and in tune and great shape.

BikePedia - 2004 Giant Warp DS 2 Complete Bicycle

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Back on topic for the bike. It is a 2004 Giant DS2. Brand new it was 550.00. 300.00 is overpriced for this bike. To put it in perspective, a 2004 Giant AC 2 brand new was sold new for 2300.00 and now sells for around 500.00. I think if the bike is in great condition it is a 150.00 bike, but that is if everything was serviced correctly and in tune and great shape.

BikePedia - 2004 Giant Warp DS 2 Complete Bicycle

Dang i didn't realize it was so old.. 2004.. 9 year old bike.. Is there any chance it could be a newer model? I don't know if they still make them or what..

Maybe If I catch the guy in a lie saying its only a year old or something he will drop the price if I know its really 9 years old. hmm now I'm kinda screwed..

I've been looking through craigslist and everyone in my area wants a fortune for there used bikes. So its either buy this used bike over priced or buy something new for the same price that may not be as good of a bike or buy a newer hardtail. I really really didn't want to buy a hard tail bike i dunno..

There are a few nice looking hardtails on craigslist in my area for about that price but I just am a big fan of full suspension. Some of the bikes that I see for sale that I could afford from craigs list that are hardtails are:

GT Avalanche 2.0 for $400 ( I only wanted to spend $300)
    Trek Fuel 90 SLR for $400 ( I only wanted to spend $300) I Just realized This is a FS Bike.. If I could get this for $300 I'm guessing that would be a great deal?
    2008 Specialized Rock Hopper $320
    Jamis Trail X $285

Are any of those hard tails "really" good deals that would be worth picking up even tho I would much rather have a FS bike? I mean if there damn good deals then the better compenets would make up for not having a rear shock a bit in my mind and would ease the pain lol

Theres also a nice looking Cannondale RZ120 but its $850 and I just can not even come close to affording that.
    Last edited by backwoodz; 04-10-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quiet Professional

Re: Let myself get overweight getting back into biking looking at Giant Warp DS2 used

Thing is with giant they only do that color one year. The 2003 was lighter and different graphics. Its not a bad frame and has potential, but it is older. Check it out tomorrow and see what you can do with the price.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    Thing is with giant they only do that color one year. The 2003 was lighter and different graphics. Its not a bad frame and has potential, but it is older. Check it out tomorrow and see what you can do with the price.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I was just sifting through craigslist again and found out on of the bigs I had pegged as a hardtail is actually a FS bike. The Trek Fuel 90 SLR for $400 If I can get him to $300 I would take that in an instant over the Giant.. I Know that trek has to be a better bike.

Quiet Professional
    Do you have a pic of that one so I can help find the bike info? I think they stopped making the 90 in 2004.

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    Do you have a pic of that one so I can help find the bike info?

Quiet Professional
    There you have a 2001 Trek Fuel 90 not even the disc model.
    BikePedia - 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Complete Bicycle

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    There you have a 2001 Trek Fuel 90 not even the disc model.
    BikePedia - 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Complete Bicycle

I'm guessing the trek is a much better bike and a more realistic price used I sent an email I hope the guy still has it and really hope I can get him down to $300 It looks like it has a better rear suspension design then the Giant I was looking at. I think if I can't get the Giant down to under $200 I aint probably shouldnt take it tomarrow if the Trek guy doesn't get back to me before I'm supposed to look at the bike.

Its proving to be really tough finding used bikes in my area (Pittsburgh) I guess there are not many mountain bikers here or some just have messed up expectations on what a used bike is worth.

Thank you for your help Now I can't sleep because I want the guy with the trek to get back to me lol. (its 2am here tho so that aint going to happen tonight)

Seeing the years of these bikes It makes me realize how fast time has went since I had mine..

How much better is the trek then the Giant. I see the trek has Shimano Deore hardware on it and the giant has Shimano Alivio and Shimano ef shifter.

Quiet Professional
    The giant has more travel 5.0 rear vs 3.0 and a newer frame. I would take a look at both and see which ever feels better and is in better condition. The warp can always be upgraded if you felt like it or you could ride whichever felt best and saved up for a better bike. I just worry about a 12 year old mountain bike.

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    The giant has more travel 5.0 rear vs 3.0 and a newer frame. I would take a look at both and see which ever feels better and is in better condition. The warp can always be upgraded if you felt like it or you could ride whichever felt best and saved up for a better bike. I just worry about a 12 year old mountain bike.
    Yah they are pretty dang old.. It makes me feel even older.. But I don't have many options with only $300 other then used as far as I know when it comes to FS bikes.

I didn't realize the trek had such small travel either hmm.. Your rite tho I could always upgrade the Giant and save up for a better bike once I get healthy enough to take advantage of it.

Thank you for all the help hopefully when I go to look at the bike tomarrow it will be in good condition and I can get him to lower the price. I plan on printing out those Bikpedia pages from the 2 bikes to show the guy with the Giant that he needs to lower his price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Because of the negative appeal of URT bikes like the Giant Warp, nobody should be selling them for above $200 dollars. Be that as it may, URT bikes are perfect for those who want to lose weight. You exert more energy per mile than on any other pivot FS or hardtail. More energy exerted = more calories burned.

You can haggle down the price if you used this justification that URT bikes (v brakes) will be a laughing stock on the trails. But if he's an astute seller he might say a URT bike is the perfect bike to lose some pounds.
    Last edited by Gundam168; 04-10-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Quiet Professional
    I wouldn't really consider the Warp a URT as the bottom bracket is not on the rear triangle. There is a pivot and link above the BB that the rear triangle attaches to.
    Name:  905118_1842.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  15.0 KB
    Let myself get overweight getting back into biking looking at Giant Warp DS2 used..-967pbpic290199-large.jpg

Tubby
    Apr 2013
    I wouldn't really consider the Warp a URT as the bottom bracket is not on the rear triangle. There is a pivot and link above the BB that the rear triangle attaches to.
    Name:  905118_1842.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  15.0 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	967pbpic290199-large.jpg 
Views:	3198 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	789184
    I think your right chef I just looked up Urt on wiki ( didn't know what it meant lol) I was actually really worried about this myself after reading his comment because my old bike was a urt and it was hell to get anywhere on everytime I pedaled the bike would bob like crazy.

Urt bikes seem to all have the bottom bracket on the triangle atleast everyone I seen did. So I'm hoping that this won't have a crap ton of bob like my old bike.

Has anyone ever owned one of these? that frame looks really heavy but it also looks like its built strong as hell. Do you have a lot of issues with bobbing?

EDIT: Also I just got an email back the Trek is Sold so looks like I'm buying the Giant for sure as long as its not all busted up.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    First of all, welcome, and good on you for being proactive in getting your life back on track.

I'm going to give some advice that you might not like to hear, but I think will be best for you in the long run. For a budget of $300, take full suspension bikes off your radar. The only FS bikes at that price range are either a) a poor and cheap design to start with, and b) close to 10 years old, or a combination of both. The age aspect is particularly a danger because bearings, bushings, and suspension seals have a lot of wear or dry rot by that point.

My recommendation is that you stick to looking for a hardtail within your budget. They will be more reliable due to their simplicity. Until your physical fitness improves, it's not going to make much of a difference whether you have rear suspension or not when we're talking $300.

I checked around the Pittsburgh listings, and you're right...selections are extremely limited. Your stand over height is also going to limit some things, but I found the following. When it comes to average frame sizing charts, you would fall into the small category, and maybe nudge into the lower rung of the medium category. This will depend on you actually trying each individual frame.

Gravity G29 singlespeed 29er (19 inch frame)

Jamis Trail X Mountain Bike

diamond back response xe

None of these bikes are killer deals, or even performance oriented, but all are sturdy and adequate. They will get you back onto the trails with minimal regular maintenance.

edit - also drop by your local bike shops, and see what they have on their used bike racks. You might find stuff under your budget there as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoodz View Post
    I think your right chef I just looked up Urt on wiki ( didn't know what it meant lol) I was actually really worried about this myself after reading his comment because my old bike was a urt and it was hell to get anywhere on everytime I pedaled the bike would bob like crazy.

Urt bikes seem to all have the bottom bracket on the triangle atleast everyone I seen did. So I'm hoping that this won't have a crap ton of bob like my old bike.

Has anyone ever owned one of these? that frame looks really heavy but it also looks like its built strong as hell. Do you have a lot of issues with bobbing?

EDIT: Also I just got an email back the Trek is Sold so looks like I'm buying the Giant for sure as long as its not all busted up.
    I have an 11 year old POS URT FS bike and it's still going strong. The frame is 7005 bulletproof aluminum with just a faint wiggle on the bushing (it's 11 years old). I lost 40 pounds on that bike. My complaints about it are, there are no brackets for a disc brake assembly and I want to replace the threaded forks. I love this bike but if somebody would be dumb enough to buy it from me for $300 then consider it sold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

So if you want to solve this weight issue by simply exercising you're looking at a 40 week plan of 140 mile weeks. Uhm... Good luck with that straight from the couch! I'll see you on the injured list....
    Thanks for the patronization and the assumption that I don't know basic knowledge about my chosen vocation. I wasn't asking about diet needs and the quite obvious necessity of increasing my physical activity while eating smarter. I clearly stated that that wasn't my issue. I asked for cardio advice and help with workout routines not assumptions about my diet and holier than thou superiority complexes. Welcome to my ignore list.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast