mtbr member
    Jun 2009

A lesson to be learned...

I was trolling the local craigslist when I come across a post.

"aluminum racing trail bike has shocks 21 speed - $200"

Inside the ad says, "over 800 new no need anymore since injury please call Brent 330-xxx-xxxx"

Ok, I'm curious... what could it be? I send an e-mail...

"Who is the manufacture of the bike?
    What is the frame size?
    Since it use to be a racing bike, what components are on it?
    Pictures?"

Here's the response:

"next is brand 26" wheels im not a pro rider, ernie at ernies bike shop said its top of the line come and see it is the best I can tell you usb broke on my camera call me to set up a time to see it 330-xxx-xxxx anytime today is good will take obo its the nicest aluminum one the bike shop had when I bought it Im in massillon that is all the input on e-mail I can give you keep in mind it was $800.00 new 4 years ago"

Ok... I've been to that bike shop. No way in HELL would they tell him that a NEXT bike is a top of the line bike. There's also no way in hell anyone in their right minds would pay $800 for a NEXT bike.

For all you guys looking for a bargain on craigslist, be careful. There are a lot of scammers out there. I don't know if this guy was actually scamming or actually got ripped off to begin with and doesn't know any better. Heck, I guess it could be a NEXT frame with all XTR or X.0 components and Fox fork... but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's what craigslist is all about. If we didn't have craigslist, where would all the scammers hang out?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GDubT
    That's what craigslist is all about. If we didn't have craigslist, where would all the scammers hang out?
    eBay.

mtbr member
    I haven't had a problem with craigslist, to be honest i'd rather look for stuff there because it is local people selling things, worst thing would be you use up some gas and go and check it out and if its crap you don't buy it.

rollin
    Oct 2009
    HAHAHA I have been to ernie's too...I think I bought a BMX Robinson Rebel from there like 15 years ago...still havent ridden it much

too cold to ride
    330 means you're on Cleveland or Akron CL - I live in Cleveland... the bike section is next to worthless here.

If you really want to frustrate yourself, try to find a decent rig on CLE CL, then page over to Denver CL and see how many great bikes are for sale over there.

I actually thought that all Next bikes were still steel.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've looked through the Cleveland and Akron postings... There's usually crap for bikes on CL. Not sure how Cleveland got named one of the top 50, but that's crap too! lol

I haven't looked for bikes in any other area. I don't want to, I'll be depressed! lol. CAK has a ton of Pacific made bikes and the quality bikes (rare) are way too over priced. I've been snagging up every quality full rigid I can get my hands on that's a decent deal. I got a Giant Rincon (circa 1993) for $35 and a Specialized (circa 1996) for $35.I'm guessing CLE craigslist is the same way.

Hardwarz

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AMACHADO5501
    I haven't had a problem with craigslist, to be honest i'd rather look for stuff there because it is local people selling things, worst thing would be you use up some gas and go and check it out and if its crap you don't buy it.
    Or you are mugged at gunpoint, a tactic seen at times in nyc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Or you are mugged at gunpoint, a tactic seen at times in nyc.
    That happened in Ohio too. Guy was going to buy a quad. Guy was told to show up at a rock quarry so he could ride the Quad and to bring the $$. Guy were hiding to ambush him for the $$$. Turns out the guy that went to buy the quad had his Ohio concealed carry license and ended up drawing his gun. Bad guys took off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well your first clue should have been that he didnt mention the brand of bike. Words are free on craigslist, why not post the details? Another reason for not posting details is because the bike was stolen and you don't want the owner to recognize it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbles
    Well your first clue should have been that he didnt mention the brand of bike. Words are free on craigslist, why not post the details? Another reason for not posting details is because the bike was stolen and you don't want the owner to recognize it.
    I have found in the CAK (Akron/Canton) area, people are not very knowledgeable about bikes in general.

There's a guy selling a TREX mountain bike for $100.00. Ask someone what the size of the bike is and they'll tell you 26" or 24" or that the wheel measures 24.5". People in this area just don't know. When you come across a post on CL, you have to ask specific questions or tell them where to measure to find out things. I don't even ask anyone frame size anymore. I now ask them to measure standover height.

Besides, if he stole a NEXT bike, he deserves to keep it!

Hardwarz

mtbr member
    There are lots of morons in this world

and just because something doesnt happen to be your hobby doesnt mean you cant have the intelligence to know what youre talking about when you go to sell it.. There are plenty of people that have very nice bikes that still fail to even give you a frame size when posting an ad.

crappy bike, no info: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/1760662895.html
    nice bike, little info: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1760700246.html
    nice bike with useful info: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1760307515.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is the crap from yesterday's CL in Akron/Canton:

DYNO TRICK BIKE - $50 (tallmadge akron area) pic
    BMX DK 24inch Cruiser - $225 (Hartville)
    Push Trike - $10 (Stow) pic
    S&M DIRTBIKE CLASSIC BMX BIKE - $190 (BELDON) pic
    boys 20' huffy 5 speed & suspension - $30 (akron) pic
    26 inc diamondback outlook needs back derailer - $40 (akron) pic
    Women's Pink Magna 17 Speed Mountain Bike - Like New! Must See! - $70 (Cuyahoga Falls) pic
    *~Little bike that hold up to 600lbs~* - pic
    2008 Premium Solo - $200 (New Philadelphia) pic
    old 16 inc amf roadmaster boys bike nees a little tlc - $30 (akron) pic
    mongoose hoop d obo - $90 (akron) pic
    redline - $75 (sebring) pic
    nice womens beach cruser - $40 (akron) pic
    Master Cycle Child Carrier (Converts to Stroller Also) - $75 (Wooster, OH) pic
    ***LOOKING FOR WOMEN'S BICYCLE & child trailer for 2*** - (wooster / orrville)
    THULE 4 BIKE HAULER,SWINGS AWAY - $285 (medina) pic
    RADIO FLYER - KIDS TRI CYCLE - $25 (ELLET) pic
    Proform CrossTrainer 970 Recumbent Bike/Weight Bench - $150 (Cuyahoga Falls)
    2 Girl's 16" bikes - $5 (Hudson) pic
    Vintage Schwinn Suburban Men's Five Speed - $75 (Akron) pic
    Mongoose Trick Bike - $40 (Medina) pic
    kids mongoose bike - $20 (canton) pic
    BIKE TRAINER - $50 (GREEN)
    Vintage Huffy 5 Speed - $60 (Rittman) pic
    Schwinn Child Carrier - $150 (Green, Ohio)
    Boys/Mens Mountain Bike - $125 (Hudson) pic
    aluminum racing trail bike has shocks 21 speed - $200 (massillon)
    WANTED: Thule Roof Top Bike Rack - (North Canton)

Wizard of the Trail
    Perhaps this ride may tickle your fancy or maybe fanny.
    http://poconos.craigslist.org/bik/1741972576.html
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    True most people dont know the frame size but brand names and model names are usually printed right on the bike.

mtbr member
    This is why it is hard to recommend CL to a person who is buying there first bike. On the other hand I have a lot of friends who get really excited about biking and go out and spend $800+ on their first bike and it just sits in their garage. I usually recommend buying a used bike to see if you even enjoy it and want to continue. I have found the best place to get a bike is at a local bike swap, or if you do know what you are looking for on CL. It is at these places that you can get the barely used $800 bike from the guy that never uses it for a whole lot less.
    Bikewagon - Hop on!

www.bikewagon.com

too cold to ride
    I completely agree with the statement that sellers in Akron/Cleveland generally have no idea what they are doing.

A motorized Next? Oh God, I don't even know what to say... but if I'll bet King Arthur is spinning in his grave knowing that some crap bike has his name on it -- I've never heard of that brand bike before...

Why do I like CL?? There is a guy on Cleveland CL now that is selling a Shogun 1500 roadie cycle from the early '80's. He had it listed early this year for $3K, now is representing himself as a different seller and wants $1500. I posted a topic on roadbikereview, and they valued it at maybe $100. The seller goes absolutely ballistic when people mark his ads (he spams) or question his price... he's a riot.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

mtbr member
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Perhaps this ride may tickle your fancy or maybe fanny.
    http://poconos.craigslist.org/bik/1741972576.html
    I don't understand these bicycle conversions. Why not just buy a scooter instead. It would be more practical and less embarrassing.

mtbr member
    might as well throw out the "WTF craigslist" thread in general discussion... a fine collection of craigslist's morons...

Post your CraigsList WTF's!?! here

Rod
    mtbr member
    I also haven't had a problem with Craigslist. I just picked up some road wheels, cassette, and mtb tires last week. Great deal, made a new friend who loves cycling, and i get to see the stuff before I purchase it. I also purchased my road bike off of craigslist w/o problems.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Master of Disaster
    Ha - no kidding the used bike selection stinks in Cleveland. I travel here by air two or three times a year to visit my in-laws and wanted a cheap trail bike that I could ride for a few days during the warmer visits each year.

I passed on one bike I found with a white seat and white TIRES(!) before setting my sights on a Diamondback Outlook listed in CLE CL. The add listed brand, model and frame size (my size) - no year though. I looked it up on BikePedia, identified it from the CL photo as a 2006 model and was disappointed to read that it had Shimano MPX twist-grip shifters, a Tourney rear derailleur and steel crank arms - yikes! The rigid Mongoose Impasse 29er disc from Walmart for $200 crossed my mind but I wasn't that desperate. When I went to see the Diamondback, the guy swore he'd ridden it "at least 30-miles" the day before. Okay, so with low tire pressure, rough wheel bearings, loose brake cables and partially seized V-brake posts, that must have been one hell of a fun ride! Turns out that bikes used for transportation in northern cities aren’t likely to be in anything like the condition of bikes used only for family recreation in a Georgia suburb - go figure!

Being on day three of a seven day visit, I threw good judgment out the window and paid $85 for it. I spent a day tearing it down and rebuilding it with only a Topeak Alien II multi-tool, a borrowed tub of grease, WD-40 and a single visit to a bike shop to remove the rusty freewheel (no charge). For $45, I added a Precision micro-adjust alloy seat post and a new saddle so now I have something to ride when I bring the family here. I wish I had another $130 in the budget for Shimano EZ-Fire shifters, Altus rear derailleur, M151 alloy crankset and an inexpensive Cro-Mo rigid fork. Probably not a sound investment though. It's not much as it is but it's a set of 21-speed wheels (photo from today)...

Last edited by Clones123; 06-01-2010 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Did I get taken....

I just bought a 2001 specialized rockhopper fsr off of Craigs list for $250. Very well kept, recently tuned, but the front and rear shocks have had better days.

You can see the reviews here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...3_1493crx.aspx

Everything else is seems to be in B+ condition.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, but $250 for a 9 year old bike does seem high...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    The rigid Mongoose Impasse 29er disc from Walmart for $200 crossed my mind but I wasn't that desperate.
    OK, It's crossed my mind too.

$200 for the Impasse 29er
    $140 for a Dart 3 29er
    $35 for a set of Shimano ez fire shifter pods with brake levers
    I have a set of BB7 sitting around waiting to do something... (got them at $90 for the pair)

I'd be into a 29er for $465, but I'd have a full rigid 29er to ride while I waited to do the upgrades....

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chez
    Did I get taken....

I just bought a 2001 specialized rockhopper fsr off of Craigs list for $250. Very well kept, recently tuned, but the front and rear shocks have had better days.

You can see the reviews here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...3_1493crx.aspx

Everything else is seems to be in B+ condition.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, but $250 for a 9 year old bike does seem high...
    Well that's a dually, back in 2001 I paid about $1000Au for a Hardrock Comp hardtail. I think I sold it in 2005/ 2006 for like $450 or less.

In the end 2nd hand bikes are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.

If the seller wasn't honest about the condition of the bike when he sold it to you then perhaps you have been ripped off otherwise no.

One thing I've learned is that if you get vague answers to questions then either push for the details you're after or turn away. I got somewhat ripped off when I brought my first used DH frame and a few bits to go with it. But that was through not pushing to get more satisfactory answers to my questions and the fact that some people have different standards, ie he thought the bb was fine because it ran fine even though it had grit in one side and the bearings were pretty much pitted (sealed bb, but I opened it up, was too far gone to be cleaned out and resurrected). Anyway you live and learn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i got an 05 hardrock pro disc for cheap, needed shifters. that's what the seller led me to believe. ended up needing a new cassette too, but got that off ebay cheap, and the shifters were from a friend. overall, its a great bike. just found out that it needs a shim in the headset, gonna just throw a cheap ebay one on for now. i'll probably end up selling the bike at the end of the season and ordering something from bikesdirect at some point most likely, the way i see it. it's a good bike though, no other problems so far. craigslist can be dangerous if you don't know what you're getting yourself into, but if you're ok with doing some work yourself, you can get a really good deal on there, even if the person is intentionally trying to rip you off.

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    My local CL bike ads are equally amusing. Seems the most commonly used phrase is "I paid over $1,000 for this bike 12 years ago and am asking $600 for it now." And the bike is one that nobody in their right mind would want now. The second most commonly used phrase would be "it's a nice blue bike." Wow, thanks for the detailed description. Pass.

Members who have read this thread: 0