So...a number of years ago when the wife and I started buying Trek bikes for our kids, we picked up a non-big-box floor pump. The wife wanted it so we would have something that lasted longer than the first bike. Me? I wanted it because it was in Camo and looked different than the solid color pumps...

Anyway, fast forward to last Tuesday, where I was getting my bike prepped for a small ride at Lebanon Hills and some nice person with a Fat Bike stops by to ask if I have a floor pump. I say yes and ask if he has a presta or schrader valve because if it's presta I'll need an adapter I picked up.

He looks at the pump and says "You don't need an adapter". And low and behold, he slipped the pump to his presta valve and started filling his tire. To say I was surprised was an understatement. Here I had purchased an adapter, picked up a hand pump to use with a Presta valve, and was shopping for a new floor pump because I thought the one I bought 6-10 years ago wouldn't work with my new fat bike's presta valve.

Morale of the story, unless you have a floor pump from 30-ish years ago, you likely don't need to upgrade that part. Oh and using a hand pump to fill a fat tire is a lot more work than a floor pump...