rollin
    Oct 2009

LBS is sllllllllllllow....

So I had planned to convert my old Schwinn Mesa to a SS a couple weeks ago...turns out after the tear down that I needed a new crank (small crack) and I still wont mess with BB so off to the shop I go. Drop the bike off on saturday morning (May 8th) to which guy behind desk says "No problem man, I will order a new crank and get it put together for ya. Give us a call in a couple days." So here I am today with no update since being told over the phone they still didnt have the crank a week ago. Seems like I'm gettin jerked around a little since pricepoint delivered within 3 days. I want to just stop in and ask to see my bike so I can confirm they havent done a thing to it in almost 2 weeks.

Question is: Legit beef over timing or over-reaction for the SS hungry guy?

mtbr member
    I think there taking to long. Buy the tools, buy a crank, do it yourself. Order it online from Jenson USA or Price Point. Second day everything, and you could be riding by the weekend.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Old man on a bike
    The shop ordered from Pricepoint? And is now sitting on it? Why are you afraid of bottom brackets?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

rollin
    Oct 2009
    Na I was saying I bought parts from PP before and they were here in 3 days.... I just got into this last summer and still am getting comfortable with all the in and outs of matinence. Just didnt want to get in over my head and be scrambling...plus I thought it would be a 1 maybe 2 day max fix for people with the right tools. Guess I was wrong...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cday1616
    Na I was saying I bought parts from PP before and they were here in 3 days.... I just got into this last summer and still am getting comfortable with all the in and outs of matinence. Just didnt want to get in over my head and be scrambling...plus I thought it would be a 1 maybe 2 day max fix for people with the right tools. Guess I was wrong...
    many shops only order parts once a week and don't overnight them either, otherwise they would lose too much money in overnighting all those individual orders from wherever the distributor's warehouse is. So if you happened to come in just after their normal ordering day it can take over a week for many shops to get the part they need for the service. Some shops are more flexible or order multiple times per week and/or use quicker shipping. "Twould be good to ask about this before hand, and even better if they tell you clearly without having to ask. PP and Jenson can ship out parts same day because that's their business and you pay the shipping.

I would think 1 to 2 days for service is reasonable once they have the parts though. Best bet to keep a good working relationship with them is just to ask for clarification on this. Is that particular new crank back-ordered? If so, what alternative choices do they suggest. When do they expect to receive the part? Etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    here's what they are doing at your shop
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

DB4L
    May 2008
    I work at a shop and can attest to the fact that we order parts once a WEEK. Furthermore, parts aren't always available at distributors. For example, J&P Importers, our source for everything SRAM IS OUT OF X9. Our other distributors are also out of X9 so we ordered a bunch from another distributor; kinda hording them lol. But yeah don't rush your LBS, small businesses can't afford 2day shipping on large orders.

mtbr member
    I think they should tell you if the part wasnt in stock though.

It is what it is.
    Buy the tools and do it yourself. It is an easy job. If you get stuck, you can get plenty of advice here. You will feel good knowing that you did the job. It stinks having to count on other people to get a job done. They never have the same sense of urgency that you will have.

I AM I AM
    Unfortunately I think it's partly the reason why so many people are buying online rather than the LBS.

local jackass
    my lbs is amazing about stuff like this sorry your having bad luck man
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I also work at a shop....

and we only order parts once a week due to shipping costs. Many distributors have a "minimum order" that will qualify you for free shipping. And shipping costs take away from the bottom line. That $10 or $15 minimum shipping charge adds up quick! So we order once a week to keep costs down.

With that said, we are very up front with our customers about it. We usually order on Monday. If they come in Tuesday needing a part we have to order, we let em know that it won't get ordered till next Monday. We're more than happy to order it for them right away, but we will add the shipping charge to it. And if we find that a part is backordered we call em and let em know as well. That's just proper service the way we see it.

So your shop is likely being a little remiss in not keeping in touch and letting you know what is going on. I doubt that their intention is to jerk you around. But it would be nice if they'd let you know what's going on.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    More bike shop lameness?

Were they doing a full SS conversion or just a crank/bb swap?
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Its pretty much the issue with all Small Business like bike shops, board shops, etc.....They can't stock enough product. When i need it, If they dont have it in stock, i dont bother.... i can always get it much faster, most of time cheaper, by ordering it myself.

That said, they should communicate the delay to you with a quick phone call.

BB is not a big deal, buy the tool and go for it.

rollin
    Oct 2009
    its just a crank/bb swap out...I am slightly upset about the amount of time but the lack of communication about what exactly is going on is what gets me. Its a small shop and I am all for supporting them but this isnt exactly how you build a great repoir with people.

This was the first attempt I had ever done to repair/upgrade myself and it went well until my crank discovery. Baby steps at first...

mtbr member
    I've been on both sides of the counter, as a customer and as a parts person. Today with the internet and lots of price fighting between distributors, at times it is difficult for a shop to compete with prices and delivery schedule. As others have mentioned many shops order onece a week to keep freight charges down by ordering lots of stuff at one time. I've also dealt with many shops for many years, my LBS since '82 and I've always had EXCELLENT service from them to this day!!
    HOWEVER, there are many times the tardiness isn't the shops fault it is the distributor's fault. For example if there is only one distributor for a particular item (like a saddle, tire, etc brand) the dealer is "stuck" ordering from them. If they don't have it OR don't send it the dealer ( and the customer) is "stuck". waiting. Too many customers can't see this happening because they say "Well I saw it on the internet and they said I'd get it in 3 days oh yeah also at a cheaper price", etc etc............Many customers don't understand the shop needing to buy from a distributor in order to make a living.
    Case in point, I was looking for a red saddle from a particular brand. They didn't make this model in red for 2009 but they did in older models. I just thought I'd call the distributor myself and see if perhaps they had an older model in red laying around their warehouse. The gentleman I spoke to told me they had one I was excited!! I told him who I was and that I understood that I could not order it myself (as I am not a shop just a customer). I told my shop about it they ordered the saddle after them calling the same distributor sales person. (This was in Feb). Many calls later they admitted they didn't have this saddle BUT a new model was coming out in a month and they e-mailed the shop a picture of it. I saw it and told the shop to order it...........(I guess it was coming by slow boat from Italy and the Icelandic volcano must have slowed it further). In the meantime I did look al over the Internet for one but it was a new model and I couldn't find it anywhere. I did finally see one one a week ago on Flee-Bay) ANYWAY...I finally got it last Monday..........3 months. I totally understand it wasn't the shops' fault. That's my story I am grateful I do understand.
    Good luck with your crank!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

rollin
    Oct 2009
    going on almost three weeks now...no call, no info. I am almost wanting to string this out and do my original idea of just walking in on saturday to see what exactly they have/havent been doing with my bike.

mtbr member
    3 weeks is way to long. Replacing BB and Cranks takes minutes, and if they couldn't get the parts they should have told you by now. I would go pick up your bike, and order your own stuff and be done with it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    going on almost three weeks now...no call, no info. I am almost wanting to string this out and do my original idea of just walking in on saturday to see what exactly they have/havent been doing with my bike.
    have you contacted them at all? you'd be surprised how often a typo is made when entering a phone number in the computer, or something else going wrong in that vein. I'd had people with full voicemail boxes get upset with me for not calling. I called literally 5 times in 2 days. i'm way too busy to sit on the phone for a $25 repair. Not saying that's the case here, it probably isn't, but it could be. call them and find out.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

rollin
    Oct 2009
    +1000...im done with this place, im actually looking forward to walking in and busting them with zero work done on my bike and no parts ordered.

rollin
    Oct 2009
    I called them last monday, they said nothing had been done yet since the cranks had not come in. I was also told that they were ordered last week and my bike was next up to be worked on....and Im pretty sure the phone number is right since I wrote it on the shop order slip.

Its disapointing when a smaller shop like this needs to thrive off of repair/matinence and they dont do a quality job. Lesson learned on my part, buy the stuff to do it yourself and just learn as you go

mtbr member
    With the way things are these days in the financial realm, customer service needs to be job one for the LBSs. They can't really chop parts prices without hurting too bad and with on-line shopping being so quick, affordable, and easy, they really need to focus on service.
    If you left your number they should have called you back since it didn't end up being a couple of days as stated. At least you would know what is going on.
    In my retail days, I found that if the customer was kept in the loop and knew what was going on, even with delays, he/she was much happier and a little more tolerant when things didn't happen as expected.
    Since I have gotten back into the biking thing my experiences with my LBS have been really good. Nothing major yet, but then again, I like to do as much on my bike as I can myself. I would rather pay a little more for parts at a shop that offers good service and has a competent, friendly staff.
    Customer service is what its all about.
    "Under promise, over deliver..." Words to live by.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    I usually tell the shop I have a race this weekend, or some other excuse so they hurry up. When I first got my bike, it took them almost 2.5 weeks to do a basic tuneup.

If the bike is under warranty and you are having this all done for free, the best you can do is continually complain. If you are actually paying for this, maybe find another LBS or do it yourself like others have mentioned.

Old man on a bike
    I called them last monday, they said nothing had been done yet since the cranks had not come in. I was also told that they were ordered last week and my bike was next up to be worked on....and Im pretty sure the phone number is right since I wrote it on the shop order slip.

Its disapointing when a smaller shop like this needs to thrive off of repair/matinence and they dont do a quality job. Lesson learned on my part, buy the stuff to do it yourself and just learn as you go
    The shop basically just says the cranks aren't here yet and that's it? Do they even sound like they're sorry? Just what special crank is this?
    suum quique

rollin
    Oct 2009
    100% paying on my own dime...in the next days I'm going in and demanding the frame back and not paying anything...discouraging to have an experience like this but oh well i guess

Aug 2009
    You only pay for services rendered. If they are really shitty, they may try to charge you for storage of the bike. lets hope they dont pull that stunt.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The distributors needs to learn how to work with the LBS's on shipping product out. I guess the distro's don't care because if they sell to the online shops or an LBS, they are still selling product.

The LBS's need to be more aggresive with the distro's on this if they want to stay in biz .

I never shop at a local store if I don't have to.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007

super weak. definitely go in and find out wtf is going on.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    stop supporting local shops. buy online, buy tools and be your own god.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I'll buy from my LBS regularly... Clothing, tubes, basic supplies and such. But they'll never get their hands on my bikes.

CEO Product Failure
    Even Superman had his bad days. I wouldn't be so trigger happy with the LBS. I'd give it one more shot. Walk in there this evening with a 6 pack of cold beer. Offer it up in hopes of seeing your bike complete. If they tell you it can't be done, ask them when. Hold them to this date.

If that date comes and still not bike, laugh it off and take your business elsewhere. Life is too short to escalate hostility over a late part when you don't really know the details. Every LBS has its favorite clients and its "not-so-favorites". Try to do what you can to become a favorite.

-B

P.S. I do not and have never worked at a LBS. It has been at least 4 years since my LBS has charged me for any labor. Beer is a very valuable currency with mechanics and shop owners. Cold beer right now is even more valuable.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj
    stop supporting local shops. buy online, buy tools and be your own god.
    Nice....

not all bike shop's are the same. If this one is pissing off the OP, I'd give another LBS the opportunity for the business.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    Nice....

not all bike shop's are the same. If this one is pissing off the OP, I'd give another LBS the opportunity for the business.
    +100000003573698534973.4396734

Thats what I did with my fork, and it worked out. I stopped in at the "not so good" shop earlier actually. I told them that I just took the fork to another shop (it's a 2 shop chain) because I had seen a nice mountain bike in there a few weeks ago getting worked on. The guy didn't seem to care. He actually came over to me (I rode the bike in because I was bored and off of school) and asked if the fork was holding up.

Are you actually posting from a mountain bike shop in Mount Dora?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

rollin
    Oct 2009
    update....stopped in on Saturday, three weeks after I originally dropped it off and same time with no calls/updates on status. After asking for my bike back, original guy who talked to me goes in back and spends 2-3 mins searching. Next guy comes out to me, askes my last name and what the bike looks like. Again, he goes in back and I hear a little more panic in their voices as if they lost it...after 5 more mins third guy comes out and says he has been having trouble finding an "affordable" crank to order. He also tells me that if they get the crank in they will put it together ASAP. He also mentions he will call me as soon as it is done...

At this point the shop has done far too much damage to repair my trust, I just want my bike finished.....

BTW this is in Columbus, OH

mtbr member
    update....stopped in on Saturday, three weeks after I originally dropped it off and same time with no calls/updates on status. After asking for my bike back, original guy who talked to me goes in back and spends 2-3 mins searching. Next guy comes out to me, askes my last name and what the bike looks like. Again, he goes in back and I hear a little more panic in their voices as if they lost it...after 5 more mins third guy comes out and says he has been having trouble finding an "affordable" crank to order. He also tells me that if they get the crank in they will put it together ASAP. He also mentions he will call me as soon as it is done...

At this point the shop has done far too much damage to repair my trust, I just want my bike finished.....

BTW this is in Columbus, OH
    I think it's time that you get your bike back and go elsewhere. There is no need to continue this relationship unless they are going to give you the crank and installation for free for your aggravation. It's fairly obvious that they are continually forgetting to order your part.

You might want to post a review on Yelp.com about this shop too.

Aug 2009
    It seems as if they forgot your bike.

Old man on a bike
    I wondered before what crank you ordered (but you didn't say)....now it appears neither you or the shop have ordered a crank at all. Is this all the shop's fault or did you give them some sort of budget limit?
    suum quique

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Thats bullshihh. They couldnt even find your bike?! You could have sent it to Mars for repair and gotten it back already. Theres no excuse for them to take that long. You need to go in to the shop EVERY SINGLE DAY and just bother the crap out of them until they just give up and do the work, just to get you to f*** off. It worked for my dad when his '66 El Camino was getting painted and I think it can work for you!

AZ
    banned
    Go get your bike , order your own crankset and tools , go here :
    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu1roOg....parktool.com/
    Learn how to work on your own stuff , the best revenge is SUCCESS.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Go get your bike , order your own crankset and tools , go here :
    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu1roOg....parktool.com/
    Learn how to work on your own stuff , the best revenge is SUCCESS.
    + 1

I'm proud to say that I'm the only person to ever go near my bike with a tool and it performs just as well as my neighbors Marin Mount Vision 5.8 (all things considered).

Theres no better feeling than being able to say that you replaced/repaired some part on your bike.

AZ
    banned
    To the OP , you really should out that shop , who is it ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If everything has happened they way you said it did and you haven't given them some strange request, there is no excuse for a repair like that to take this long. Go get your bike back, and if you don't decide to fix it yourself, take it to another shop that will appreciate your business more.

keeping it dirty
    Get your bike back, and your money if you already paid for anything. Then post reviews on Google and Yelp.

rollin
    Oct 2009

No good

So the end of the saga is here...went back in Saturday morning and talked with the guy who hadnt ordered the crank previously (suprisingly he didnt remember me, another shining example of their customer service) and he again told me that he couldn't find the crank in the right color/price range...even though I never mentioned a prefernce of either of those to him. (Very first person I talked to a month ago told me he could find one for $60)

So I tell him I'm done with all of this, just want all my stuff back. Of course when he brings it out they hadn't even removed the rear cogs like I had also asked for...end of short convo he tells me that internet dealers must have snatched up all the cranks and if I find one to bring it back in and he will but it on same day. In return I mutter "Fat chance in hell I ever come back" and walk out the door...

I'm done with the SS project for the time being as the experience has pissed me off to no end. Guess I will just rock the Trance on the rail trails with my wife until I regain patience/money.

BTW the shop is Northland Cyclery in Clintonville/Columbus OH

mtbr member
    Wow. Just buy the tools your self and do it your self. Screw that place..
    i choose mountain bikeing because i cant aford an engine

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Damn internet dealers snatching up all the parts!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Maybe you could take it to the Performance Bike in Dayton. I know it's a long trek, but at least look in to it. They have tons of parts in shop and the people there were really nice when my dad and I were in Dayton on vacation. Wish I lived there

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hahahaha... internet dealers snatching what?? You have a right to be pissed at them.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    not excusing any of the hilariously terrible things this shop has done, but inventory levels from most distributors that your LBS deals with are pretty low. everyone forecasted low for 2010, and there's tons of stuff out of stock for months. I wouldn't blame internet dealers, but for a part they didn't have in stock, it may actually be hard to find. that is an explanation from someone who has dealt with a similar request recently, but i called the guy and told him that i couldn't find the part he needed, and gave him other compatible parts and prices for options.

seriously though, these guys suck.

Members who have read this thread: 0