1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: LBS question

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

LBS question

I am nearing my first LBS bike purchase. My question is just how much can a guy get thrown in with a new bike purchase?

I will be spending $500 or so on the bike but I need a helmet and would like to probably get a saddle and some other basic stuff to get started.

Also, how much room do they have on a bike in that range?

Cyclist of Borg
    when i bought my bike i got them to switch out the tires, saddle, pedals and rear derailleur.
    I had been going there for years though. also i was spending $2500.00.
    it all depends on the shop, thier markup and how good a finagler you are

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, you spent 5x what I'll spend so maybe I can get 1/5th what you got and I would be happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Shops I've dealt with have swapped out the saddle and maybe thrown in a free cage and bottle. You're probably more likely to get a discount on accessories purchased with the bike. I wouldn't ask for anything for free though, you don't want to be that guy. I would ask about their tune-up policy. You should get a free tune up within a month or so of the purchase to adjust the cables after they've stretched out. Some shops even give free tune-ups and quick adjustments for life, only charging for parts that have worn out.
    Last edited by emtnate; 06-18-2008 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sometimes, shops will switch out components on the bike (before you've ridden it) with similar grade components they have sitting around shop for little or no cost. Don't be afraid to ask if they'll swap out components, but don't be the guy who tries to get a bunch of free stuff with his new bike.

You mentioned you want a different saddle. Is there something wrong with the one that comes on the bike?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    my shop would definitely give you some credit for the saddle(oem stuff likely isn't super nice, so don't except a straight up trade on a $500 bike's saddle), but expect some credit for it, we'd also give you at least 15% off accessories maybe 20% depending on how much other stuff you'd be buying and what bike etc etc. ask them what their deal is, and be sure to ask about what free adjustments/tune ups come with purchase.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks guys for the help. I bought a bike (Fugi Nevada 2.0) and they gave me a bell helmet. They were great to work with and spent a lot of time with me even though I wasn't buying one of their top bikes. They adjusted the front deralieur for me as I was having some trouble on the test ride. Smoothed things right out for me and they did offer the 1st tune up for free.

I hit the pipeline motorcycle trails near my home this morning before work and had a great ride and a great workout.

I can see right from the very start that a lot of the info from this site applies to even the entry level riders.

I found myself mentally referring to things about weight balance, shifting and other techinques on my first ride.

Now back to the LBS for some low light eyewear, and a pack for basic tools, phone, wallet, ect...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    As far as the saddle goes...

I kept the stock one on it and actually in what little I have ridden the bike, I am glad that I didn't swap it out right away. It's supposedly a good design and I have already begun to get more comfortable with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good for you. Nice of them to throw in the helmet. I'm sure they'll appeciate everything else you buy from them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yup, headed back to the same LBS to buy a bike for the wife, plus backpack, tools, pump, and all the other "must have's".....