1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

LBS 1 -Giant talon 0 vs LBS 2 -Felt Nine Comp

I figured this was the place to start a thread like this.... since it will be my first 29er and the such.

Also I realize the Comp is slight up from the Talon 0 but LBS 2 has no Sports and is discounting the Comp by $260 off MSRP to move the bike. So you see my quandary.

Alas, there is more...

LBS 1 has the Giant - is friend of mine - supports the local community (one major event (14k riders) I am on the steering committee and the local college riding team). I had resolved to buy a bike from him and figured at this price point, most 29ers would feel the same to me - foreign. I rode the Talon 0. I felt slow and awkward - granted only seat post was fitted for a quick test ride.

I had no other experience on a 29 - years on a 26.

Decided to sleep on it after getting his best price of $1030. First year tune-ups I think... don't quote me.

On a whim, drove over to LBS 2. Small town, two bike shops... no other dealers within an hour or so. He deals in Felt and does not really support the community based on the word of others I trust. I figured I would get on a different 29er and gauge my experience. Wow. The ride was much better. I felt quick again, nimble... the bike was easy to throw around. I nearly felt like I was on my old Fisher X-Cal. NEARLY.

I assume the sport would be near the same ride just with a different group. (But I really like the RS Recon Air...)

And LBS 2 says, well, sorry I won't have anymore Felts in for about two weeks, let me see what I can do on this 2012 Comp... $260 off. Also throwing in Lizard skin, first major service free, and free lifetime tune-ups.

After that long winded diatribe - two questions:

1. I think I have the answer, but I wanted to ask... I mean it is my arse in the saddle... but I am a loyal to a fault. The Comp is a great price... The Giant (LBS 1) was not a great fit for me "it seems".

What would you do? It almost seems silly asking, being this is business... but again, cycling is really big to us here and I just don't want to upset the tender balance that is us and LBS/community. Would I be out of line in fellow riders' opinions going with LBS 2 given the facts?

2. IF you said Felt (LBS 2) - With that price savings on the felt, would you pull the trigger or just move down to the Sport? (I would link you to the specs, but alas, I am too much of a forum n00b apparently to responsibly give you a link.)

We are a fickle, loyal bunch, us MTB riders and cyclists in general. I'd like your opinions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sounds like you feel you're obligated to go to lbs1 because he's a friend and his community events. You can still support the mountain biking community no matter what shop you go to. It sounds like you liked the felt so I think you should test ride the giant one more time, if it doesn't feel right go get the felt.

mtbr member
    Hadn't thought of another ride. Thanks. Good idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It is YOU that will be spending your hard-earned money and YOU that will be enjoying the bike for years to come...for me, I would not even think twice! Felt all the way-$260 off and lifetime free tune-ups? I was sold on the part that you like Felt a lot...no brainer if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Being a Talon owner fell biased to say go for the Talon, is a great starter 29er and after replacing some parts is a nice rig but my recommendation will be to get the one that feels better, fits better, has a better component group and off course you like the most.

Test ride them both and get "the one" for you, your lbs friend will understand. Also keep supporting your friend's shop with your other purchases this way everyone wins.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback.

Is it common to offer lifetime tuneups? I didn't make it back out there to ride the Giant. I will though.

I'll report back as well.

mtbr member
    Went with the Felt. Rode today. Thanks for the posts.