1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Large frame problem

So I bought this almost new bike (Cannondale SL-2) from my in-law. It was such a good deal that I didn't care it was a large frame. Since I'm 175cm tall (5'9'' I guess), on my first rides I just felt hunched and very sketchy going downhill. So I replaced my stem with a 50mm and it felt better. Then I swapped to a 35mm riser bar and it's A LOT better.

Even though my posture feels better now I'm starting to think that there is no much room for further improvement on this matter. And I think it's giving me problems lifting the front over obstacles. Bare in mind that I'm kindof a noob (...but with good attitude), and I ride a lot of pavement and uphill but only to get to the cool downhill trails.

I refuse to let go over this bike since it's such a big step over my last one, but what would you recommend me? Should I keep trying to customize or should I start thinking about changing the bike?

Thanks people!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Large frame problem

Quote Originally Posted by Oquedo View Post
    So I bought this almost new bike (Cannondale SL-2) from my in-law. It was such a good deal that I didn't care it was a large frame. Since I'm 175cm tall (5'9'' I guess), on my first rides I just felt hunched and very sketchy going downhill. So I replaced my stem with a 50mm and it felt better. Then I swapped to a 35mm riser bar and it's A LOT better.

Even though my posture feels better now I'm starting to think that there is no much room for further improvement on this matter. And I think it's giving me problems lifting the front over obstacles. Bare in mind that I'm kindof a noob (...but with good attitude), and I ride a lot of pavement and uphill but only to get to the cool downhill trails.

I refuse to let go over this bike since it's such a big step over my last one, but what would you recommend me? Should I keep trying to customize or should I start thinking about changing the bike?

Thanks people!
    The frame is too big. The wrong size is never a good deal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I guess I should start looking for a medium frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquedo View Post
    I guess I should start looking for a medium frame.
    You should

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You could look for a medium frame, swap the parts over and sell the old frame. Depends on the front shock compatibility how cheap it could be done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    You could look for a medium frame, swap the parts over and sell the old frame. Depends on the front shock compatibility how cheap it could be done.
    Not just fork , headset, bottom bracket, seat post. There is a lot to make sure will swap over to any frame he buys. One lucky thing is normally the headtube on a large will be longer than on a medium so you 'shouldn't have to worry about the steerer being too short.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    One big problem is finding another cannondale frame.

What other brands handle 1.5'' headsets?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    umm, the components are worth more than the frame. YOu can upgrade yourself to anice carbon frame for $200 on ebay.. then sell your old one. The only real thing it's gonna cost is moving hte parts over

Bicycle Frames in Type:Mountain Bike | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Lengths and lengths

Ok. I totally respect your opinions about the frame size. But there's something I'm not getting clear.

I've been studying my SL-2 geometry here and if I shortened my stem by 3cm I would compensate for the extra length on the top tube and therefore fix my posture. I'm not worried about the wheelbase, or should I?

Where else do you guys think the posture or centere of gravity problem could be generated?

I ask because I was planning on buying a different cannondale frame and the one I got my eyes on (Rush 17'') share many lenghts even though its a Medium!

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    How are you sitting on the bike in relationship of your seat position and the position of your knees being directly over the centerline of your pedals? Getting your cockpit length squared away is one thing but your pedaling position is also critical. That is what killed me when I had an identical situation as yours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Last visit to the shop the guys setup my seat all the way forward and on my next ride my ass was killing me. Moved it back a bit and I'm fine. Knees in line with the centerline. All good there.

My problem is when in attack possition. I guess I'll end up paying for a fit.

mtbr member
    The listed size for an SL2 large is 18.7". Just by your height and general length of limbs, it doesn't sound like it should be all that big for you. I'm 6'1 and a 19.5" would fit me just right although I ride a 19. A 20.5" would of been too big for me.

This is a great video on bike fit..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Large frame problem

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    The listed size for an SL2 large is 18.7". Just by your height and general length of limbs, it doesn't sound like it should be all that big for you. I'm 6'1 and a 19.5" would fit me just right although I ride a 19. A 20.5" would of been too big for me.

This is a great video on bike fit..

The seat tube length is not the "size" that matters. The ETT is more important (though still not the complete picture).

I am also about 6'1 and the ETT of the large is a bit too big for the bike fit I prefer. I would be more comfortable on the medium.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common